Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe Properties default settings

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Bradley7exp
861 Views, 10 Replies

Pipe Properties default settings

I am trying to change the default setting for "Pipe Flow Direction Method" currently it is set to "start to end" but I would like it to be "by slope". I have to assume there is a way to do this, I have tried everything i can think of.

If anyone could help me out that would be great. Also if anyone is able to provide the definitions of the "Pipe Flow Direction Method" options that would be helpful.

I am currently using Civil 3D 2012, but will soon be moving onto 2014

Thanks in advance,

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Nik-D
in reply to: Bradley7exp

Why do you need to do this? Cannot you set out the pipe network initially and then apply the rules to the network. After that tweak any parts of the network that require it?

Message 3 of 11
Bradley7exp
in reply to: Nik-D

I am looking at alternate ways to create pipe networks, the "by slope" is an option and I want to know more about it as I think it could help with some of our labelling issues and possibly allow more freedom when creating the networks.

Message 4 of 11
wfberry

If you want to do it EASY and FAST:

Create an alignment along your anticipated pipe path.

Make a profile of this.

Run a Finish Profile along your pipe Flow Line, using slope labels.

Now all you have to do is drag your pipes to fit the slope.

Bill

Message 5 of 11
cfiorica

I  have the same issue.  The reason for being able to set it, as default, to "By Slope" is it allows for a consistent method to label incoming and outgoing pipes.  Storm structures in southern california have an offset built into them (typically 4") from the inlet and outlet.  It is important to note this on PLAN VIEW (profile it's quite obvious).  The "Start to End" will mess up the label even if the slope of the pipe is correctly showing that it is coming into a structure, it will still label it as out.  The only way to fix that is to change the slope direction to "By Slope" and the label works...every time.  Besides, it makes ZERO sense to NOT have a gravity pipe system governed by anthing other than "By Slope".

This isn't a wishlist item...it's an obvious bug in the software.

Carl M. Fiorica, P.E., LEED A.P.
BWE, Inc
9494 Balboa Ave, Ste 270
San Diego, CA 92123
Message 6 of 11
cfiorica
in reply to: cfiorica

...as a follow up to this.  There is a third party program that has a command that will set all selected pipes to "By Slope".  Check out SmartDraft, available as a featured app through the Exchange store.

BWE, Inc
9494 Balboa Ave, Ste 270
San Diego, CA 92123
Message 7 of 11
Jeff_M
in reply to: cfiorica

@cfiorica, FYI you do not need any 3rd party software to change the Flow Method. You can change all, or some, at the same tme in the Pipes tab of the Edit Pipe Network panorama.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 8 of 11
MikeEvansUK

I advise against using By Slope or end to start as you can quickly get very confused with the directions pipes are drawn and levels.

Swapping the flow direction means the pipe Startpoint and endpoint remain the same (this is what the Swappipedirection command does). Anotation can therefore shown two outflow pipes depenent on how it's drawn falls can be read incorrectly. The golden rule of pipework is it goes downhill so draw it so.

I have had this (using the OTB command) before I realised its mistake and opted to write a more useful command to swap the entire pipe direction with start point / end point swapping.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 9 of 11
Jeff_M
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

Mike, the BySlope method works for me. If the pipe is flowing into a structure, it is labeled as In, regardless of it being the Start or End point of the pipe.
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 10 of 11
cfiorica
in reply to: Jeff_M

Jeff/Mike,

Thanks for the input!  In response to Mike, I have to whole-heartedly agree with Jeff.  I have spent hours developing the right label for PLAN VIEW purposes to properly show IN/OUT of pipes at a structure.  The only way that I got it to work correctly was to have the pipes set to "By Slope".  If they were set to Start/End (or End/start) even when they are drawn correctly, the label didn't show it properly (sometimes 2 OUTgoing pipes, or ALL pipes INcoming...not right!).  When set to "By Slope", the label funtioned correctly every time.  Granted it may be I did not have the correct sequence of Start/End, or even missed something in the labels development...but that eliminates a step of record keeping that I don't need to keep track of and also possible errors.  Thanks though, all input is appreciated.

In response to Jeff, I tend to stay away from the pipes panorama unless I absolutely need to use it.  Unless I am able to undock it from the toolspace, it's difficult to use as it is too small on my screen.  Besides, the SmartDraft software has so many other tools that I use on a daily basis it is really indispensable...and it gives me a quick keyboard command to change pipes to "By Slope".

BWE, Inc
9494 Balboa Ave, Ste 270
San Diego, CA 92123
Message 11 of 11
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: Jeff_M

Cheers Jeff, I have checked and yes you're correct that does work. Comment retracted:

I use Start/End and label all my pipes in labels without issues. When I see no pipes Out shown I know one is either set End To Start or has been drawn in the wrong direction. I also check the start to end setting in Vb when I test a network and report any which are incorrect.

M

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report