Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe Network - Profile Sump Display Incorrect

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
sduffin
5300 Views, 21 Replies

Pipe Network - Profile Sump Display Incorrect

I am having problems with the display of my structures in a profile view.  Previously, when I change the inverts of the pipes connected to my structure it would automatically adjust the bottom (sump) of the box invert to match my lowest pipe.  However, for some reason it has stopped doing it and is now displaying the sump invert incorrectly.  I have my style set to "Display as a Boundary".  I have edited the structure sump to be by both elevation and depth, but it does not update the sump elevation.  I have tried to grip edit the sump but it seems to be locked at a certain elevation.  I have a profile with 10+ structures and they are all at multiple depths.  I realize there are minimum depths allowed by the structure, but I have exceeded the minimum depths in all cases.  Attached is an image that depicts my problem.  No matter what I do to change the depth it stays locked at a certain elevation.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Scott

Civil 3D 2011, SP1

2269iE2E3EA2B4865E828

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
h1dekikun
in reply to: sduffin

When you draw structures in profile view, it shows the outline of the entire structure, walls and all. The "sump" is actually just the floor thickness. 

Message 3 of 22
jschlichter
in reply to: sduffin

I'm having the same issue, did you ever find a solution to this?

Message 4 of 22
h1dekikun
in reply to: jschlichter

See my reply above. 

Message 5 of 22
jschlichter
in reply to: h1dekikun

Thx, but it this case, its not floor thickness related (I'm fairly certain anyway).

The sump will not adjust up or down from its current location, in effect it's "locked" at it's current elevation. It can't be modified by grip or manually, the sump elevation doesn't update (visually at least). See attached picture: the pipe is connected below the bottom of the structure, but the sump will not update.

Message 6 of 22
jmayo-EE

Check the structure properties dialog and see how many pipes are connected. Are they all drawn in this profile view? If not the missing pipe(s) MAY explain the locked sump.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 7 of 22
jschlichter
in reply to: jmayo-EE

There are 3 pipes attached to that structure, with only one shown in that particular profile. However adding in the additional pipes doesn't resolve the issue. It seems every structure is locked at what its current properties are. Just as a experiment I tried manually changing the sump to rim height in the structures properties, but it wouldn't take. In fact, none of the options would stick, I couldn't change cone height, floor thickness, etc. Makes me think that there is somehow a disconnect between the part and the pipe catalogue.

Message 8 of 22
jmayo-EE

Type SetNetworkCatalog into the command line and see if you are looking at the correct catalog.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 9 of 22
jschlichter

I checked it out and it's pointing at the correct path. If I attempt to edit my parts lists, I can choose from the appropriate part families. They just behave strangely when the are inserted into the drawing.

I also attempted to create a new parts list just in case they were corrupted as well. The new part still displays the unusual sump behavior. ...I'm running out of ideas.

Message 10 of 22
jmayo-EE

Are you sure this is not a data referenced network? If you right click on a part and have a 'Open Source

Drawing' then it is.

Did you shut c3d down and use recover to open the file to see if the file has errors?

Can you swap a part and then edit?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 11 of 22
jschlichter

The pipe network resides in this drawing so it's not a dreffing issue.

Tried reopening acad and recovering -> no errors found

I swapped the part, but it didn't fix the behaviour.

Interestingly, I tried creating brand new manholes, but they still displayed the frozen sump behaviour...sort of. I can drag the sump downwards, but once edited, the sump cannot be moved upwards again. If however, I attach a pipe to the structure, the sump behaves normally. Once disconnected again, the glitchy behavior resumes.

Message 12 of 22
jmayo-EE

Your signature says SP1. If you don't have SP2 installed I would try installing it.

Did you tell us if this all structures or just one? If it's just one, when you plotted all the pipes to profile did you see all of the inverts correctly? Are they all the same or with the expected range?

Can you edit the sump as expected by selecting the part in plan view vs the profile view?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 13 of 22
jschlichter

I tried the file on computer with SP3 installed to no avail.

It seems that all existing structures in this file/other files that I open all display this odd sump behaviour. The pipes are all being drawn correctly in the profile view. Just the structures seem to be misbehaving. New structures with pipes attached seem to behave normally.

Editing the structure properties in plan view, I was able to assign a sump value to the structure (by depth) but it made no difference when it was drawn in profile view. Alternatively, I was able to force an elevation for the sump, but all that did was move the grip edit on the structure, the rim to sump height property didn't change so the boundary didn't update

Message 14 of 22
jmayo-EE

Well now we would have to look at the individual structure. If this is a custom structure the issue is in the part build and you would need to re-examine the dimensions, parameters and calcs. If this an unedited OOTB structure I would open a support case. I have never seen this type of behavior.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 15 of 22
jmayo-EE

I don't think we talked about rules. I think this is a long shot but I would also try deleteing the rules associated with the part and replacing the part. Perhaps rules are messing it up.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 16 of 22
jschlichter

I've managed to get an interim solution working until I have more time to look at it.

Somehow through all the tinkering I've been doing, I've re-enabled the swap part workaround. If I swap parts with the same structure, or briefly change to a different part and change back again, the part now behaves normally when displaying the sump.

New structures still come in relatively fine (if no pipes are attached, sump cannot be moved vertically upwards), I just have to swap all my existing structures to ensure that everything is displaying correctly.

Thx for the suggestions, hopefully I'll get some more time next week to delve into it further.

Message 17 of 22
jmayo-EE

Glad you got it worked out. I just think you had a corrupted part. The solution is then to try swapping parts. If this gives you an issue just erase and replace the part.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 18 of 22
oceanside

Just to let you know....I'm having the same exact problem.  All my structures are showing a sump depth & FTH is set to "0" as well as the Rules.  When I look at properties, it is showing FTH to be "0".   When I selected Help under the Structures Properties, it explains under "Sump Behavior" when this property is enabled, you are able to use the grip to adjust sump depth.  I have not found where to disable. 

I have submitted a Tech Support Request & did the things they suggested such as changing the FTH in the Part Catolog, Validate, & PARTCATALOGREGEN.  They also suggested about changing the Rules to read "0".  This didn't do it.  I'm going to do what you did for a fix but I'm hoping I don't have to do this everytime. 

the best is at the beach!
Message 19 of 22
oceanside

I consulted with tech support (thru subscription) & got the same response as I have been reading in the Discussion Group but what I did to correct this was.....I made the change in Part Builder to the structure to have a floor thickness of "0".  It did not change my structures already in dwg at all or the floor thickness in the Structure Properties & for some unknown reason I could not swap parts....but I disconnected the structures, deleted them, added same structure, & added the parts to the profile.  I was able to grip & drag the structures where I wanted the invert to be & then connect the structures to the pipes.   It worked....now when I read the Structures Properties, I am showing a "0" floor thickness. Thank goodness this was not a large project.   

Making the change in the Part Builder only is good on new structures added into dwg after making the change.  I'm hoping Autodesk will make a change such as being able to make a change in Part Builder & it change pipes & structures accordingly without having to go back & do what I did above.  Also I wish more revisions could be made under the Structure Properties.  I think they are very limited.  I did make that suggestion to the tech....I really do value the tech support....

Just thought I would pass this on...... 

the best is at the beach!
Message 20 of 22
wkrogers
in reply to: oceanside

I am having same problem, have tried all of the aforementioned suggestions to no avail. see my post at

AutoTURN interfere w/Civil3D?

"Action expresses priorities"-Gandhi
"Oh, a wise guy"-Curly

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report