Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe Network Layers

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Joe-Bouza
1249 Views, 13 Replies

Pipe Network Layers

Before I forget. I have a user that created a pipe network for me, and every element in the network has its own layer. Our object layer settings use a -* for a suffix. The suffix would be the network name - right?

Any guesses how she managed to do that? Each pipe, manhole and catch basin on it own layer

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
klugb
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

This is in the 2010 version, right?

Is it a data shortcut network or the drawing with the original network?

This has been a royal pain in the @$$ for us. We tried to use the wild card -*, and it works in the original drawing but not when it's data shortcut. I opened a SR (#05024471) with Autodesk when 2009 first came out and it's still there (actually worse) in 2011 for the way we setup our drawings with data shortcuts & x-ref's.

We have had to manually move each network to the correct layers after we data shortcut it in.

Bruce Klug, P.E.
AutoCAD Expert Elite Alumni
AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Win 10 Enterprise, 64-bit
Message 3 of 14
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: klugb

Thats correct Bruce. Should I avoid the wild card? I'm surprised I haven't heard this discussed before. That seems like a RPITA. What have the response to your SR been?

Your Name
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 4 of 14
jmayo-EE

Are you creating a reference to a data shortcut?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 5 of 14
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Yes I am.

HowdySmiley Happy

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 6 of 14
jmayo-EE

In my experiance, since datashortcuts were introduced, this has not worked. At least  not for me. The layer name that should be used based on the dwg settings is not and all pipes and stc's get thier own layer. What you need to do is hit the layers button when you create the reference to the network. You need to dig into this and replace each astrisk with the network name in each field.

Or just let them go to the worng layer and use QuickSelect or Select Similar & props to get the right layer.

Surfaces use to have the same bug with auto layer names. They fixed that one in 2010 I believe.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 7 of 14
klugb

Joseph,

We did stop using the wildcard in 2011 and manually set the layers with each network. Here are a couple of the ADSK responses while we were working through the issue.

2-22-2010
Hi Bruce,

I understand you are having issues with layer names when using data shortcuts.

I have tested and reproduced your issue with one small difference. In my destination drawing (where the pipes will be data shortcutted into) I have set the same layers, with the same suffix. However, when I shortcut the pipe network into the drawing, both pipes AND structures are showing up on C-PIPE-PLAN and ignoring the -* suffix. It does create the correct layer, but the pipes are not on that layer, nor are the structures.

I am going to do some more testing on newer versions of the software to see if I can determine if this is an issue that has been fixed. If it still happens, then I will log this issue with our development team for review. At this time, I do not have a workaround for this issue.

Have a great day!

4-9-2010
I apologize for the delay in responding, as I was waiting on 2011 to release before I tested it.

I have verified this issue in Civil 3D 2011 as well, and it has been logged with our development team. I am not sure what their schedule for the fix is, but you should be updated once the issue is fixed.

Bruce Klug, P.E.
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Message 8 of 14
klugb

John,

Joseph has found what we did, that is depending on what version and what method you can end up with every pipe on a separate layer. We had one project with over 200 pipe layers......

Bruce Klug, P.E.
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Message 9 of 14
jmayo-EE

I did confirm the bug and state that it has been an issue since datashortcuts were introduced. Thanks for the info from support.

I wouldn't change the drawing settings to remove the layer naming convention since you will now have the issue for all pipe networks created and not just referenced networks.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 10 of 14
Joe-Bouza

Hello Bruce & John, thanks for the input. Does xrefing  the source and DS to sheet only for label, as NoShow pipes and strc seem logical? Or is xref labeling and good alternative? I haven't tried xref labels - they are available in 2010, yes?

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 11 of 14
klugb

I haven't tried either myself. I would test the DS-Freeze method before I would use the xref-Labeling. I have seen too many posts about xref labeling disappearing. In my experience that will only happen on the day your final plans are to be plotted 🙂

I'm not sure the DS labeling will work for me, but I'll ponder it. The current project I am on is a pipes nightmare. 4 parallel system for on-site, off-site,  conveyance, and pump station storage pipes. Even the labels need to be on separate layers for clarity.

Bruce Klug, P.E.
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Message 12 of 14
Joe-Bouza

Thanks for the tips. Smiley Wink

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 13 of 14
jmayo-EE

I avoid xref labelinf as I have seen labels disappear after save and open. I think Bruce said the same.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 14 of 14
Joe-Bouza

UBET. Thanks

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report