Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe Network Layers - Setting Defaults?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
d_reno
1973 Views, 4 Replies

Pipe Network Layers - Setting Defaults?

I can't find the setting for setting the default pipe network layers - dialog that opens when I create a network.

I have different utilities, obviously want them on the right layers. 

E_WM --> exst. WM layers plan/profile

E_SAN--> exst. sanitary layers plan/profile.

etc.

I have a template drawing I am getting my styles from. where in the template are thse things set?

thanks.

David Renaud, RLS
C3D 2012 on 64bit Win 7 all up to date
Dell Precision 7core 8GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800M
LDT/C3D user since release 12
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
d_reno
in reply to: d_reno

I am about to set them all again - happens because I may not have something exactly right that I want to recreate the network from the beginning, or the editing later on of the network is more tedious than it is to start over. 

I havethe correct layers assigned in the pipe styles. I can't find it in the network style settings, in the general layer settings, and I can't imagine where it could be.

Autodesk - this is very typical - the hunting for where certain settings are. You might want to make Help actually helpful by including a map to the setting locations for all of the Civil 3D stuff. if I use Help about this, all is says is that this is where I set the ayers. well, duh! I kind of knew that. but like everything, there are several places where layers are set, and I am never sure which controls which, and how to make it stick so I don't go trhough this all the time, and what are stye overides all about anyways?

David Renaud, RLS
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800M
Message 3 of 5
d_reno

found this in Help: The default object layers are defined from the root drawing settings on the Object Layers tab.         

but there is just one setting for a pipe network layer, while in the dialog there are four places to set the stuff: plan pipe, plan structure, profile pipe, profile structure, and XS.

so, I am getting it, I think. I use a "Master" layer to put ALL of my peipe networks on, regardless of whether they are exsting or proposed, then control their displayed and plotted layers states in the parts listing? I mean, without having to edit the stinking layer list all the time?

thanks. 

David Renaud, RLS
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800M
Message 4 of 5
sjg
Advisor

The way I have it set up in my template is I created dummy networks for both storm and sanitary where you set the layers once. So when you create a new drawing with your template, just edit the existing dummy networks, revise name and description, but layers should be set for you.
Steve Goessling
Land Consultants
Civil3D 2015
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 600
Message 5 of 5
mathewkol

That way works well, but it has a limitation when using data references. You dref pipes into another drawing, thise pipes all go on that master layer.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report