Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe Network Layers 2013

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
tgicam
2748 Views, 6 Replies

Pipe Network Layers 2013

When a pipe network is referenced into a drawing in Civil 3D 2013 there is an option to set the layer for the pipes and structures.  After the layer is set, the parts go onto these layers until the network is syncronized.  After the network is synronized the parts revert back to whatever layer is set in the object layers in the drawing settings.  Has anyone else noticed or had an issue with this?

Craig

Civil 3D 2013 SP1

HP z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon CPU W3520 @ 2.66 GHz

NVIDIA Quadro FX 580

Windows 7 64bit

12 GB RAM

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
klugb
in reply to: tgicam

They are behaving as-expected here. We do have a little different setup. I use the "-*" wildcard modifier so each network is on a seperate layer. They do hold the layers in the original file and our plan production drawing where they are data shortcut into. I forced a Sync and no change.

Bruce Klug, P.E.
AutoCAD Expert Elite Alumni
AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Win 10 Enterprise, 64-bit
Message 3 of 7
C3D_TomR

I have been seeing this issue for several versions of Civil 3D. Changing the layers in the supplied Layer dialog box doesn't hold. It reverts to the default layer settings in the Object Layers tab of Drawing Settings. Here's the current workaround.:

1. Import/update the pipe network parts list from the source drawings.
  2. Toolspace-right click on the drawing name-Edit Drawing Settings-Object Layers tab.
  3. Set the default layers for Pipe, Pipe Network Section, Pipe or Structure Profile, and Structure to the layers you want for the current pipe network that you will dref into the drawing then OK.
  4. Create the dref in the drawing without making any changes in the Layers dialog.
  5. Change other settings as required (parts list, surface overrides, etc.) then OK.

To make the process slightly faster, here are the layer settings we use:

-UNDR-N     Prefix     C-UTIL-STRM

-STRC-N     Prefix     C-UTIL-STRM

-PROF-N     Prefix     C-UTIL-STRM

-SECT-N     Prefix     C-UTIL-STRM

Before each dref is added, I change the prefix portion only (C-UTIL-ELEC, C-UTIL-NGAS, C-UTIL-COMM, etc.) in the Object Layers tab then import that dref. This setting will hold for future changes/synchronizations to the pipe networks.

Hope that helps.

Tom Richardson

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature
Autodesk Certified Professional in Civil 3D for Infrastructure Design
AutoCAD Certified Professional
------------------------------------
Autodesk AEC Community Blog
Crossing the line with Civil 3D
Twitter | LinkedIn
Austin CAD User Group Resources
Blog | Discord | LinkedIn

Autodesk Group Network Leader

Message 4 of 7
rafaelaustin

It's been my expereince that you have to check the default settings in Prospector for it to work consistently. If I go to Settings tab > Pipe Network, right-click Edit Feature settings and set all the "Default" settings for that drawing, then it will work.

Message 5 of 7
C3D_TomR
in reply to: rafaelaustin

For me, it's only an issue when creating a dref of pipe networks. Making changes to the layers dialog when creating a pipe network from scratch works as expected.

In fact, if you make changes to the layers dialog when creating a pipe network from dref the layers will initially look and work correctly. Close and reopen the drawing and you'll see that the layers have been reset to whatever the default pipe/structure settings were when you created the pipe network from dref. So bascially it accepts the layer change but the layers that get saved for future are the current default layer settings. Since the layers are grayed out in a pipe network dref, you can't change them after the dref is created.

Tom Richardson

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature
Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 6 of 7
Grimes_MG
in reply to: C3D_TomR

So do you mean that you have the -UNDR-N, -STRC-N, etc. layers in your layer manager and then when the dialog box to create network opens, you select those layers and then adjust the prefix to C-UTIL-**** ?

That's pretty neat I must say.

One thing I've done is get ride of almost all discrete layers for the objects in a label style (under the Display tab of the label style). I have begun to set all the layers to zero (0) layer and then when the label comes in, just placing it on the layer it should be on anyways. This also works for some entity styles, but not those that need spcific layer, color, linetype, etc. control

Win7 (x64), EVGA 790i, 8GB RAM, EVGA 8800GT, 250 GB iSSHDD, & RAID 0/1
Message 7 of 7
C3D_TomR
in reply to: Grimes_MG

@Grimes_MG

I do the same (layer 0) for some entities such as note and segment labels.

@tgicam

According to the readme file, this issue should be resolved in Civil 3D 2016 with service pack 2 installed. You or your software administrator can download the service pack from the manage.autodesk.com website.

Tom Richardson
CAD Manager

If you find an answer to your question, please mark Accept as Solution so others can find it as well.
Kudos are appreciated too.

Tom Richardson

EESignature
Twitter | LinkedIn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report