Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe Network data shortcuts

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1333 Views, 6 Replies

Pipe Network data shortcuts

i am currently using civil 3d 2012. I am having issues with pipe networks and my data shortcuts. when i data shortcut a pipe network into another file, sometimes my structures just disappear after saving and closing out, then reopening - like they were never there. Any ideas as to why this is happening?

thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
MattHough2641
in reply to: Anonymous

I had the exact same problem Scott.  I am a self taught Civil 3d user and things like this just made me pull my hair out.  In the process of wrestling with this I realized that I didnt have to create a reference to my pipe network in a new drawing.  I just had to be sure that both drawings were referencing the same project where the data shortcuts exist.  Did that make sense?  That way all I had to do was XREF in my pipe network drawing and I could still label all my structures without the hassle of structures changing symbols or not showing up at all.  Hope my rambling made sense.

Goog luck

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Scott: are the pipes and/or structures actually missing from the network in the Propsector in the second drawing when you reopen it?

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

Yes they are. I found another thread regarding this issue. To resolve it, I found that if you unload the xref that is the source file for the data shortcut, then sync the data shortcut, it fixes itself and the "missing" structures reappear. Then reload your xref. Scott Fitzhugh CAD Technician CIVIL*SITE DESIGN GROUP 630 Southgate Avenue - Suite A Nashville, TN 37203 615-248-9999 Office 615-251-9575 Fax ScottF@civil-site.com www.Civil-Site.com Please consider the environment before printing this email.
Message 5 of 7
Lisa_Pohlmeyer

Scott,

Do I understand correctly?  You're using data-shortcut to bring in a pipe network and then Xreffing in that same drawing?  If so, why do you do both?  If not, disregard.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Lisa_Pohlmeyer

Ooh. I just saw your reply Lisa. Sounds like a dangerous and unecessary thing. I guess there is a reason for everything, but I would be cautious about referencing the same drawing in both ways.

Regards,

Ron C

Message 7 of 7
Lisa_Pohlmeyer

I was actually asking if he did both. It's well documented that doing both causes issues.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report