AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Contributor
paul t
Message 1 of 17 (725 Views)

Pipe Network Data Shortcut - Structure Styles

725 Views, 16 Replies
06-18-2008 11:51 AM
Hey All, I'm trying to find out what could be the cause of sturcture styles in a Pipe Network Design Drawing resetting to default styles when I Data Shortcut the design into my Sheet? (I.e. I've got gate valves, fh's, and plugs in my design file, but when I data shortcut them into my sheet they are all come in as null structures) Not Cool!

I'm using the same template that contains all the same parts/styles for both design and sheet.

Any advise of comments?
Active Contributor
pdmarkas
Message 2 of 17 (723 Views)

Re: Pipe Network Data Shortcut - Structure Styles

06-19-2008 11:35 AM in reply to: paul t
I agree this is frustrating, but I believe it is by design. Most styles need to have the flexibility of being different from sheet to sheet and this is a carryover of that. You can "batch" change structures in Prospector or Panorama by sorting by description and editing all of the curb inlets at once, manholes at once, etc. As far as wish list items go, this issue is definitely close to the top for us.

Paul Markas
Civil 3D 2009
Contributor
paul t
Message 3 of 17 (723 Views)

06-19-2008 01:07 PM in reply to: paul t
Thanks Markas, we're still running 08' till 09' hits it's first SP. I had this working in my templates before, but not so long ago it started acting up.

The workaround you posted definately helps, the description changed per the design, but the style doesn't. In 08' you can't batch change the style yet. But making sure the style matches the description works! Message was edited by: paul t
Active Contributor
pdmarkas
Message 4 of 17 (723 Views)

06-20-2008 06:11 AM in reply to: paul t
I've been doing it this way since 07. You can select multiple structures using CTRL or SHIFT, just make sure you selecting a cell that is not style related (I use 'status' or 'name') Then RIGHT CLICK on the 'Style' heading and all selected rows will change!
Contributor
paul t
Message 5 of 17 (723 Views)

06-20-2008 06:21 AM in reply to: paul t
Worked like a charm!! Thanks!
Distinguished Contributor
O.Maille
Message 6 of 17 (723 Views)

07-10-2008 04:49 AM in reply to: paul t
I've had the same problem, there is another solution;

If you used the same part list (can be dragged and dropped from drawing to drawing) and asign the styles to the parts the correct style will be drawn.

HOWEVER if your structures are the exact same (ie. all junction 750X750) then the style asigned to the first matching part in your parts list will be assigned.

This is probably due to the fact the parts are selected based on their PartID (eg. 94680C6E-30DB-4DBB-9F1B-48CC0DBF0368). This will vary based on part properties.

I've changed my valve sizes to be unique and this works, may work by changing material or custom properties, haven't tried yet.
Contributor
jeff.frye
Message 7 of 17 (644 Views)

09-19-2011 11:39 AM in reply to: paul t

Changing the styles as described above works well. But only if you know every drawing that has your network referenced into it.

I want to have a master PIPE drawing that contains the styles and structures AS I WANT TO SEE THEM IN SHEETS.

If I update a structure style in my master file, I want ALL of those strutures to update to the new style. I have no way of tracking who has referenced my data in their files....

Distinguished Mentor
castled071049
Message 8 of 17 (639 Views)

09-19-2011 12:17 PM in reply to: jeff.frye

The most frustrating problem is that after the prodution sheets are set up and the pipe networks are referenced in, any changes to the base file will not update the styles in the dref'd sheets. In other words, if you change, say, a manhole to a cleanout, the newly syncrhonized dref'd part will still look like a manhole, even if the name or description says otherwise. At this point, you have to open each affected sheet separately and update the style individually.

Our workaround has been to create a master utility base file that has all the networks referenced into it and all the styles correctly showing in plan view. We then xref that single utility file into all of our production sheets. If a change is made to a part in a base file, all we have to do is open the master utility base file and update the style for the revised part. This will automatically update the styles in the production sheets as it is an xref, not a data referenced network.

The biggest problem to this approach is if you have a very large project, the master utility base file can get unwieldy. You have to plan that part out in advance, pretty much. Nonetheless, it beats the heck out of what we call "chasing styles", opening up every darned sheet to change a single part's look.

Anyone have any better ideas? We are wide open to suggestion.

*Expert Elite*
jmayo
Message 9 of 17 (630 Views)

09-19-2011 12:42 PM in reply to: paul t

This could be because an update or repair has reset the part catalog location.

Type SetNetworkCatalog at the command line and confirm the correct catalog location is set.

John Mayo, PE
IDSP 2014
Win 7 64, Xeon ES165@3.2Ghz,
64 GB RAM, Quadro K4000 (x2)
Contributor
jeff.frye
Message 10 of 17 (623 Views)

09-19-2011 12:53 PM in reply to: jmayo

Thank you John, This is not the case here. We are using 2010 C3D. Just cant get the styles to update on data references. Its not unique to pipe networks, its surfaces, alignments, etc...

Even if the destination file has the styles in it, autocad decides it should be the style that it was when it first came in to the destination file... rather than what I have updated it to.

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!