Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe Network - Crescent Road - Profile View

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
kevinjackman
1247 Views, 8 Replies

Pipe Network - Crescent Road - Profile View

Hi folks,

If I have a Crescent Road (P - shape) where the Alignment returns to itself, when i draw pipe network parts in profile, the pipe network gets drawn wrong, ie. the tie-in structure at the intersection is drawn at the wrong station.

My understanding is that the structures will get drawn at the station closest perpendicularly to the alignment, so the structure is going to the end station as opposed to the beginning simply because the end segment of the alignment is closer.

Is there any way to make a structure use a different perpendicular station (without shortening the alignment)?

What is the best practice for this scenario?  I don't want to move alignment or structure.

C3D 2010, Windows 7 64 bit.

THANKS

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
wfberry
in reply to: kevinjackman

I believe your best way out of this is to use two alignments. (e.g., Sta 0+00 to Sta 10+50, Sta 10+50 to Sta 12+85)

Bill

Message 3 of 9
kevinjackman
in reply to: wfberry

Two Alignments doesn't solve my problem.  Same result.

When you 'draw parts in profile', the pipes are drawn in profile, referencing the station of the grid chosen, and of course the grid is a function of the aligment.

I still get a pipe drawn in profile that stretchs from one end of the profile to the other, overlapping other pipes and structures.

Message 4 of 9
scottkent

This can be done with a single alignment.  When laying the network out, just use the station-offset transparent command ('so).  Then when placing pipe ends or structure locations, you will see the glyph that will ensure you have the correct station.

Scott Kent P.E.

Senior QA Analyst IMPLG

Autodesk, Inc.

Scott Kent P.E.
Senior QA Analyst II
Infrastructure Collaboration Products

Autodesk, Inc.
100 Commercial Street
Manchester, NH 03101
Message 5 of 9
kevinjackman
in reply to: scottkent

Thanks Scott - maybe I haven't articulated this well.

I can layout the network no problem.

The issue is that on a Crescent, where a road ties back to itself, the pipe network is drawn in profile incorrectly.

See red pipe in attached drawing.

Message 6 of 9
dmanning

This is a software quirk, IMO. I would remedy this by using display/design alignments. In short you would need two additional  alignments that would not be displayed in plan view. The first alignment could run from sta:1+000 to sta:1+100 and the second from 1+100 to the end. Use station control to start the second alignment at the proper sta. Then you would need to align your profile views side by side and create styles that would make them appear seamless. I have found no other way around this, hopefully that works for you. Good luck,

Message 7 of 9
scottkent

Thanks for the drawing Kevin.  It must be me not understanding things.  The pipe in profile is doing exactly what it is doing in plan.  In plan view, the red one (Pipe 17) is flowing from structure 18 at STA 1+301.646 to structure 11 at STA 1+063.439.  In profile, it does the same - but looks 'strange' because it bypasses a whole bunch of structures and pipes; but that is technically correct.

Now, if you mean that you want 'the tie in structure' (Structure 11) to be stationed at the end of the alignment, then you will have kind of the opposite scenario: Pipes 10 and 11 will extend in profile to the end, and that will look even more confusing.  Note that if this is your intent, notice that your alignment ends a little short of the structure.

Sorry if I am not getting it - you can call me if you want.  603-621-3344.

Scott

Scott Kent P.E.
Senior QA Analyst II
Infrastructure Collaboration Products

Autodesk, Inc.
100 Commercial Street
Manchester, NH 03101
Message 8 of 9
nduimering

Hi Kevin,

I was wondering if in the end you found a good solution? I am working on a project with this exact problem.

Thanks,

Nathan

Message 9 of 9
kevinjackman
in reply to: nduimering

Hi Nathan,

I acheive the best result by making two alignments and two profile views.

You will have to patch the two profile views together.

Kevin.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report