Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe Length

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
ganorton
478 Views, 10 Replies

Pipe Length

Is there any way to simply assign a specific length to a pipe? I have tried to edit the length in TOOLSPACE (it wont allow it) and in the PIPE PROPERTIES (it wont allow it). Can someone please tell me how I can specify and/or edit the pipe length so I can lay my pipe out with even lengths. THANKS.
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: ganorton

When you are drawing the pipe, click the first point, then when it's asking
for the second point type in a number that is the length. The pipe will be
drawn that length in the direction of your cursor.

Matt
Message 3 of 11
ganorton

Thank you very much!!
Message 4 of 11
dana.probert

i can't get this to work. if i type 100, none of the length dimensions are 100 on the pipe. with DYN turned on it works for center to center 2d length (there is a draft post in c3d.com about this right now as a matter of fact)
Dana Probert, P.E.
Technical Marketing Manager, Civil Engineering
Autodesk
Blog: BIM on the Rocks
Learn More About BIM for Infrastructure
Message 5 of 11
dana.probert

actually- i lied. both work equally well in 2007. see you over in myfeedback in a sec.
Dana Probert, P.E.
Autodesk
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

I think it might be too late for the RTM, but maybe an SP.

Matt
Message 7 of 11
dana.probert

OK, here is the deal. In either version, if you use either Matt's method or DYN, it works for new networks. WHen you go into Edit Network and lay in some additional legs, the first one is always the wrong length, but the next ones respect your wishes. Why? I can't answer. Hopefully someone can cause it bothers me.
Dana Probert, P.E.
Autodesk
Message 8 of 11
dana.probert

i also just worked out that DYN when used with the pipe lengthening grip (triangle) will allow me to specify a delta or total length change.

I had been working on this post as one of our April posts, but I think I will go ahead and publish it tonight since it seems timely.

This may not be groundbreaking stuff, but for some reason it has managed to ellude me until this point.

http://www.civil3d.com/index.php/2007/03/options-for-specifying-pipe-length/
Dana Probert, P.E.
Autodesk
Message 9 of 11

I commented on Civil3D.com, but thought I would add it here:

The program calculates the distance from where you click, not from the center of the structure or from the Center of pipe. So if you remember where you clicked from and measure to the end of the pipe you will get the correct distance. So if you want to use the method you need to make sure you click at the center of the structure or the center of the pipe. So not really a bug since this is how it is in all other commands, but not the expected result.

I tried it with the nearest OSNAP and didn’t get the correct value when going from the center of the pipe. I suspect that is pulling the actual elevation of the pipe centerline rather than the 2d length. I tried to set the elevation picker to 0 in both 2007 and 2008, but in 2007 its not showing correctly and in 2008 its not turned on and I don’t know how to turn it on.
Civil Reminders
http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/
http://www.CivilReminders.com/
Alumni
Message 10 of 11
dana.probert

i would expect the structure glif (aka golden snitch) to snap to the center of the manhole. When I draw pipe networks and I know I am connecting structure to structure, I turn my osnaps off and rely on the structure glifs. Where the heck else would it snap to? I’m confused. I guess I need to rethink that and perhaps use the center osnap. I just have to be aware if my “z grapper” is on or off.

In 2008, the Z grabber is under options… I forget which tab right now.

ok, so i went in and tried it and i couldn't get it to consistently work using the center osnap. it seemed to work about 50% of the time, but i can't but my finger on why. My z-snap is off.
Dana Probert, P.E.
Autodesk
Message 11 of 11

Yep, got the elevation thing to work in 2007 and it is pulling the pipe centerline, setting use current elevation set to 0 gives the correct results using the nearest OSNAP.
Civil Reminders
http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/
http://www.CivilReminders.com/
Alumni

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report