Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe labels 2007

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
189 Views, 7 Replies

Pipe labels 2007

I have a label style for pipes that labels 2d length to inside edges. The problem is that the label is giving the wrong length. When i measure the length i get an error of around 0.15 to 0.00, each pipe segment with a unique amount of error. Is this happening to anyone else?
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

how are you measuring the length to double check the software? When I show my lables for pipe I have it round to nearest foot. I wouldn't notice if it was short by 0.15'.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

I measured with the measure tool first. Then i drew a line and flattened it then list. They both gave the same dist... I usually have them label to the nearest foot also, but i was noticing some weirdness. That's why i started checking it out. Shouldn't the distance be exact?
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

what osnap are you using to get the measurement? your measuring a pipe segment that was created with civil 3d correct?

I normally would pick insertion to insertion so that I got center to center length.

But your trying to get a distance from the inside of the structure to inside of the structure?

Thats a bit tricky since the pipe has to stick into the structure somewhat or there would not be a wateright seal.

so are you trying to measure from the point the outside of the pipe penetrates the inside edge of the manhole?
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

I am using a block to display my inlets. The block shows the inside wall. I am snaping to the midpoint of the line that represents the inside wall of the inlet. I am attaching a screen capture of the block. And yes the pipes were created with civil 3d.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

What 3d part are you using to represent this structure? If your using a concentric cyndrical structure and using a rectangular block to represent the structure in the plan view. i think this might be the discrepancy.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

The structure i am using is a

Rectangular Junction Structure NF

24 x 48 inch Rectangular Structure Mat_Reinforced Concrete SF_Standard SG_Standard SC_Standard

If you look closely at the screen capture from the last post you will see red lines that represent the actual 3d structure.
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Joe and I talked about this today and I contacted Scott Kent at Autodesk to
ask him how pipe lengths were calculated and I think we figured out why it
might be squirrely:

From Scott:
"For 2D center to center, it's just a simple distance between 2 coordinates
calc. For 2D inside edge to inside edge, it's the distance from outer wall
to outer wall, plus wall thickness of structure 1 plus wall thickness 2,
plus a calc for projection into the structures."

The last part about projection into the structures, etc. seems like it might
give you a slightly different measurement every time depending on how you
hit the structure. A few degrees either way, or a different slope or
whatever might just be enough to throw it off.

I don't know the best solution, but at least we aren't imagining it.

--
Dana Breig Probert, E.I.T.
http://www.civil3d.com
----------------------------------
Civil 3D 2007 SP3 alongside Civil 3D 2008
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 2.01 GHz
2GB RAM, 256 MB ATI FireGL V5200

AUGI CAD Matinee in Philly May 17
http://www.cadmatinee.com/philadelphia/default.asp for more complete agenda
and registration.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report