Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe Label Styles

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
943 Views, 10 Replies

Pipe Label Styles

I am having problems making my single line pipe label into two lines. I go into the edit label style and press the ENTER key to move the line of text down and it appears to work until I go back to the label in model space and everything after the ENTER is missing. This what what my label style used to look like and it worked perfectly fine:

SAN <[Inner Pipe Diameter(Umm|P0|RN|AP|Sn|OF)]>%%c PVC, <[PIPE ROUNDED TO 1/2 METRE0(P2|RN|AP|GC|UN|Sn|OF)]>m @ <[Pipe Slope(FP|P2|RN|AP|GC|UN|SD|OF)]> **ENTER**

INV = <[End Invert Elevation(Um|P2|RN|AP|GC|UN|Sn|OF)]>

Now if try to make other labels look the same by inserting the ENTER between the "pipe slope" and the "end invert elevation" for some reason it isnt the same:

SAN <[Inner Pipe Diameter(Umm|P0|RN|AP|Sn|OF)]>%%c PVC, <[PIPE ROUNDED TO 1/2 METRE0(P2|RN|AP|GC|UN|Sn|OF)]>m @ <[Pipe Slope(FP|P2|RN|AP|GC|UN|SD|OF)]>arINV = <[End Invert Elevation(Um|P2|RN|AP|GC|UN|Sn|OF)]>

For some reason a lowercase "ar" goes where I inserted the ENTER, and everything after that "ar" disappears. It shows in the label editor but doesn't show in model space or paper space.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
tcorey
in reply to: Anonymous

Try using shift plus enter. Does that help?

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: tcorey

No that doesn't work either, If I press SHIFT+ENTER a lower case "ine" is inserted in the string of text.

WATER <[Inner Pipe Diameter(Umm|P0|RN|AP|Sn|OF)]>%%c PVCine TOP = <[End Crown Elevation(Um|P2|RN|AP|GC|UN|Sn|OF)]>

The drawings that are having these issues were originally created in Civil 3D 2011, then we upgraded and saved all the drawings in 2014 format and they seem to have some problems.

Message 4 of 11
JA5.15

I am having the same issue in 2015. Has anyone resolved this?

Message 5 of 11
Jeff_M

Can you post a drawing exhibiting this issue?
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 6 of 11
JA5.15
in reply to: Jeff_M

Yes see attached. I've inserted the pipe label style into a new bare-bones drawing.

The problem style is "Pr Storm (Plan)".

If you try and format the label into a two-line label either through the style composer or a label override it will not display anything beyond the first line of the label.

I was posting to see if there was a known issue, I hadn't done too much troubleshooting on my own for this.

In getting this drawing ready I tried a couple things, and I noticed that if I create a new pipe label style in my drawing everything works fine, I can add as many lines of text as I want, either through the style composer or via an override. So it seems the issue is related to the label styles I'm using. I'll upload the drawing and you can have a look and see if anything is amiss with the style, but perhaps the style has just become corrupted for some reason and I'll just recreate them.

Message 7 of 11
Jeff_M
in reply to: JA5.15

Thank you for the dwg, @JA5.15 

This is a strange one, and I'm glad I haven't experienced it here. In the wonky style, when you add the Return for a line feed it inserts a "\par" (you can see this in the tooltip when hovering over the Value of the Contents property in the style editor). Creating a new style and inserting the line feed only adds "\P" and behaves as expected.

I can find nothing in the style that would cause this. Was any text copy-pasted from a Word, or something similar, document to the text component?

As I was composing this I noticed that your style has "%%C" in it for the Diameter symbol. In my labels that use this, the symbol is actually shown in the composer, not the "%%C". So I deleted that, re-added the %%C which then showed the symbol, then added a Return and the label is now working as expected.

4-13-2017 6-35-20 AM.png

EESignature
Message 8 of 11
Jeff_M

Looking back at the OP's style, it, too, has the "%%c" in it.
EESignature
Message 9 of 11
JA5.15

Good catch Jeff. If I change the %%c to the dia. symbol it resolves the issue completely. What a strange quirk. 

A funny behavior to note is that if I go into the style composer and simply delete the space after the %%c, the '%%c' is transformed to a dia. symbol in the composer. I don't even have to remove/add the %%c. Oh Autocad...

Thanks for your help!

Message 10 of 11
JA5.15

Unfortunately I can't mark this as solved as I wasn't the original poster.

Message 11 of 11
tcorey
in reply to: JA5.15

I can and did. 😉

Thanks Yoda, er, Jeff, for your vast knowledge and willingness to help.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report