Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe Label Style

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
wbrustle
793 Views, 14 Replies

Pipe Label Style

I am trying to set up a pipe label style for inverts in and out of a pipe. Our standard is to have the labels for the inverts vertical along the bottom of the profile view grid directly below the pipe at both the end of one pipe and beginning of the next pipe. I have noticed that the rotation of the text is in relation to the pipe itself, but is there a way to alter that rotation to that other than the pipe and still keep it dynamic, where the text will update along with the edits of the inverts?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Jay_B
in reply to: wbrustle

If I'm understanding the question:

Set Plan Readable to False on General Tab and Rotation Angle to 90 on Layout Tab within the Pipe Style?

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 15
wbrustle
in reply to: Jay_B

I think you do understand what I am talking about and I tried what you suggested, but it rotates the text 90 degrees to the pipe and not 90 from the horizontal grid line.

Message 4 of 15
Jay_B

I see what you mean now, I didn't notice that the 90 deg. < isn't honored as the angle was slight in the one tested.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 5 of 15
wbrustle

I wonder if is is even possible......would be great if it could be done.

Message 6 of 15
Jay_B

Another possibility may be using a band to label them (but we don't use bands for labeling pipes) so I'm unsure if that would be an option.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 7 of 15
wbrustle

I am not even sure how to label using bands or what that even is

Message 8 of 15
Jay_B

Assuming these are pipes w/out structures, a possible workaround might be adding Null structures and using a structure label style.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 9 of 15
wbrustle

how would I get the null structure to read out a label for invert in and out? Also, what does the null structure mean?

Message 10 of 15
tcorey

@wbrustle wrote:

.... I have noticed that the rotation of the text is in relation to the pipe itself, but is there a way to alter that rotation to that other than the pipe and still keep it dynamic, ....

Yes.

When editing the label style, go to the General tab and set Orientation Reference to View instead of Object. Set the 90 degree rotation on the Layout tab.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 11 of 15
Jay_B

If labeling a pipe network which includes both pipes and structures than a "structure label style" is better suited for labeling the inverts IMO.
C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 12 of 15
wbrustle

I thought of using the structure label style myself, but I did not find anywhere within the structure label style composer to label inverts....am i missing something?

Message 13 of 15
Jay_B

A "Text For Each" component must be added within the structure label style.

text for each.PNG

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 14 of 15
wbrustle

Awesome!!!!! Thats exactly what I was looking for......thank you so much.

Message 15 of 15
victoriamilne1
in reply to: tcorey

@tcorey wrote:

@wbrustle wrote:

.... I have noticed that the rotation of the text is in relation to the pipe itself, but is there a way to alter that rotation to that other than the pipe and still keep it dynamic, ....

Yes.

When editing the label style, go to the General tab and set Orientation Reference to View instead of Object. Set the 90 degree rotation on the Layout tab.

I couldn't get the chosen "solution" to work but your suggestion worked perfectly for me - thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report