Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe inverts from cogo point elevation?

28 REPLIES 28
SOLVED
Message 1 of 29
jwhal
2538 Views, 28 Replies

Pipe inverts from cogo point elevation?

I have a couple of hundred driveway culverts to draw. I've drawn a few of them so far, but I would like to speed up the process if possible. Right now I create the pipes the standard way, edit the pipe properties and manually type the inverts. I may be missing something, but is it possible to have the pipe invert inherit the elevation of a cogo point during the pipe creation? They all seem to default to -2.xxx m elevation, for whatever reason, yet the cogo points are above 35m..

Jon

28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: jwhal

I'm not sure, but pipe rules may be of some help.

Wait a minute! You can create a FL of the COGO then convert the FL to pipe network.

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 3 of 29
jwhal
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Thanks Joe. I thought I looked through those, but will look again.

Jon

Message 4 of 29
jwhal

Unfortunately I see nothing in the pipe rules that would help. I tried using feature lines, create pipe network from objects and merging pipe networks, but that ends up being more work due to extra networks, sites, deleting unnecessary structures, swapping part sizes, etc. I'm not really saving any steps here. If there is no way to do this using the regular pipe creation tools, then perhaps this will make it onto the wishlist (I'll add to the appropriate forum).

Jon

Message 5 of 29
SethHall

Hi Jon-

By default, if no rules are applied, and you have snapped to the node of cogo points, the centreline elevation of the pipes should reflect the elevation of the cogo points you have snapped to. I realize this does not help as you want the inverts to reflect the cogo point elevations, but I thought it was worth mentioning as you may be able to use this info to try another method.

I have poked around to see if this can be changed from centerline to invert whening snapping to nodes, but I have yet to find such a setting. I will keep looking and let you know if I find something... others may chime in too.

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 6 of 29
jwhal
in reply to: SethHall

Thanks Seth. I'll wait a while longer before I add this to the wishlist.

Jon

Message 7 of 29
Joe-Bouza

If thats a 10-4 ... Please select "accept solution" so other readers may be aware of your solution

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 8 of 29
wfberry
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Joe:

If he is adding this to his wish list, perhaps that would not be a solution.

Bill

Message 9 of 29
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: wfberry

Details, details... Sure sounds like a solution. ... uhph... looks like it is <G>

Perhaps autodesk should come by and wipe our noses twice a day to make life easier?

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 10 of 29
Buzz12345

We often do as-builts of pipelines and have developed a workflow for it.  Perhaps not so good for several disconected pipes (which I think you're referring to).

1. Create an alignment and profile from the points.  We create the alignment manually (if the point numbers are sequential along the pipe you might be able to automate the alignment creation), and then use a utility that creates the profile after selecting the alignment and the points.

2. Create a featureline from the align/profile ("Create feature line from alignment").

3. Use the "Create pipe network from object" command to create your pipes from the featureline. This command allows you to set the relationship of the featureline to the pipe as either outside top (fantastic for as-builts done while the trench is open), crown, CL, invert, or outside bottom)

It'd be great if there was some way to make this workflow a bit simpler.  

Anyhow maybe that'll help (and maybe someones got an idea for making it simpler).

Michael
AEC Collection - Civil3D 2023 & Infraworks 2023
www.foxsurvey.co.nz
Message 11 of 29
f_bobadilla
in reply to: SethHall

Just came to the same conclusion you did Seth.  No fix from Autodesk on this yet?  We typically design to invert elevations rather than CL of pipe and would find this more helpful if the setting can be changed.

Thanks,

Francisco

Message 12 of 29

I was surprised I didn't see this in a third party program. I might create one this weekend since I have to create a dialog box to let the user select a pipe size anyways. How much would you pay for a tool like this in the App store? 

Civil Reminders
http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/
http://www.CivilReminders.com/
Alumni
Message 13 of 29
bforr

can you change the insertion point in parts builder?  I am looking at it now but am unsure how to change it.  Am hesitatant as the parts catalogue is on the server and everybody uses it.  I am going to play around with a copy and try to do a save as part family.  Am i barking up the wrong tree?  I would like this to work as it would be a time saver. Don't expect any good news.

Message 14 of 29
troma
in reply to: f_bobadilla

I'd say the solution is posted four years ago by @Joe-Bouza & @Buzz12345

Feature line or 3D polyline from the points.

Then convert to a pipe network and you can set it to invert elevations.

Then you can merge your networks if you like.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 15 of 29

@Civil3DReminders_com wrote:

I was surprised I didn't see this in a third party program. 

Well, there is something close, just need to draw 3dpoly's using the CogoPoints. Then use the SPADDPIPESBYPOLYLINE command.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 16 of 29
mfernandes
in reply to: Jeff_M

seems like there is already a solution to the post,

but wouldn't it be great if Autodesk would allow us to directly create other objects, other than just FL and Parcels from survey data.

figures.png

Message 17 of 29
f_bobadilla
in reply to: troma

Hi Mark,

Joe's solution only applies when you are creating a new network from object.  However if you want to create new pipes for an existing network, there is no way that I can see where you have the option to select which part of the pipe (i.e. invert, crown, CL) you would like to assign the elevation to it.

Message 18 of 29

Whatever you think is fair!...This would be a nice tool to have

Message 19 of 29
troma
in reply to: f_bobadilla

Right, but you can make a new network and then merge it into your existing network. One extra step, but I'm just pointing out that you can do it.

I did it with about 50 disjointed 3D lines one time. (They were culverts under driveways, so none of them connected to anything.) It worked pretty well.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 20 of 29
f_bobadilla
in reply to: troma

Thanks.  I did not know you could merge networks.  How do you do that?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report