Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipe Invert Depth Band

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
ryan.hawken
8890 Views, 24 Replies

Pipe Invert Depth Band

I'm currently setting up a band set and want to include a band "pipe invert depth" i.e. basically trench depth.

There are properites in the band label style composer for "pipe invert level" and for "cover" and for "pipe diameter" but not pipe invert depth.Is there a way to display the pipe invert depth relative to the reference (design) surface/alignment?

A secondary question to this is can you use basic arithmetic in the band label style composer? eg pipe cover + pipe diameter? This would solve the above problem!

Cheers

Ryan

Tags (1)
24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: ryan.hawken

Do you think an expression could do that for you?

{surfaceElevation}-{pipeInvert}-{wallthick.....?

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 25
ryan.hawken
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Hi Joe

I have been trying to use expressions but they do not seem to work in band label style composer as they do in other labels e.g.

({<[Start Cover(Um|P2|RN|AP|GC|UN|Sn|OF)]>})+({<[Pipe Inner Diameter or Width(Umm|P0|RN|AP|GC|UN|Sn|OF)]>/1000})+({<[Wall Thickness(Umm|P0|RN|AP|GC|UN|Sn|OF)]>}/1000)

only results in the expression being displayed in the band label. It might be my syntax (?) but I've tried lots of combinations.

Cheers

Ryan

Message 4 of 25
Joe-Bouza

Good morning Ryan, I was not at a work station last night when I posted, and now I see there is no option for expressions in the data band label styles - where did you apply your expression?

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 25
jmayo-EE

This is an old workaround. Create a non-plotting profile tracing the invert line. Then use the profile1 minus profile2 label component to show the depth.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 6 of 25
CMOTY10

I create a non plotting profile and make it a color that stands out for me.

So if the pipe elevation changes I get a visual prompt that the profile will need to be changed.

Grip editng the profile works very well for this.

Message 7 of 25
ryan.hawken

Thanks for the suggestions guys, although I I was looking for an automated process.

I've used dummy profiles before, but for pipes I find it quicker to leave a blank band and write the values in manually based on the computed lid level and invert level. This also avoids inconsistencies across the bands which often result from Civil3d sampling at different locations.

Another way may be to create a custom property for the pipe network such that it can be inserted into the band label. Is it possible to create a custom property?

Cheers Ryan

Message 8 of 25
knmdk

@ryan.hawken wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions guys, although I I was looking for an automated process.

I've used dummy profiles before, but for pipes I find it quicker to leave a blank band and write the values in manually based on the computed lid level and invert level. This also avoids inconsistencies across the bands which often result from Civil3d sampling at different locations.

Another way may be to create a custom property for the pipe network such that it can be inserted into the band label. Is it possible to create a custom property?

Cheers Ryan

Hey Ryan, I've been facing exactly the same problem as you (gives me headache since first week in C3D 2010). Have you found a way to create custom properies for band labels or use simple expressions inside band labels? That would be really helpful and time-saving thing. I totally agree using dummy profiles is a lot of hustle. Especially in case you've got pipes of various sizes in one profile.

Message 9 of 25
ruipfbarreiros
in reply to: knmdk

Recovering this old post, is there any new solution to this problem? I'm facing the same issue and I also don't like to have to create a profile...

thanks

---------------------------------------

Using Building Design Suite 2019
Message 10 of 25
knmdk
in reply to: ruipfbarreiros

No. Nothing has changed in 2 years except some Ukranian guys made a local Civil 3D extension that brings up this functionality. But they're charging €4500/year so I think it's not an option. Thanks, Autodesk.

Message 11 of 25
ruipfbarreiros
in reply to: knmdk

apparently, the best solution so far for this issue is to use pipe labels and have them positioned in the data band, as suggested by ralstogi:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/Is-it-possible-to-use-an-expression-in-a-data-band-la...

---------------------------------------

Using Building Design Suite 2019
Message 12 of 25

attention Autodesk:

This has been an ongoing issue for some years now & I would like to see something done.

It is standard practice, here in Australia, to have a Band Style titled DEPTH TO INVERT.

This is relied upon by designers & contractors for a number various reasons & needs to be included in the design documentation.

I don't want to be using workarounds etc. to have this Band Style to show up correctly on my Longitudinal Sections.

Please can this issue be fixed as a matter of priority.

Thanks,

Greg

Message 13 of 25
dawidels
in reply to: gregscolyer4692

Has Autdesk done any changes to the software te rectify the problem as I am experince the same frustrations?

Message 14 of 25
samoh21
in reply to: dawidels

In 2016 - version, the pipe cover depth can be shown in the profile view.

Both the END Cover and END Cover

Cover Depth.png

Message 15 of 25
gregscolyer4692
in reply to: dawidels

Hello

I am not interested in the Pipe Cover depth ... I need the Depth to the Pipe Invert level

Regards,

Greg Scolyer
Senior Design Drafter
AutoCAD Civil 3D Minder

GHD
T: +61 3 6332 5515 | V: 325515 | M: +61 408 550 814 | E: greg.scolyer@ghd.com
23 Paterson Street, Launceston Tasmania 7250 Australia | http://www.ghd.com/
WATER | ENERGY & RESOURCES| ENVIRONMENT | PROPERTY & BUILDINGS | TRANSPORTATION

Please consider the environment before printing this email

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email, including any attachments, is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender immediately, and please delete it; you should not copy it or use it for any purpose or disclose its contents to any other person. GHD and its affiliates reserve the right to monitor and modify all email communications through their networks.

Hi Greg

You can choose to have shown START invert elevation or END invert elevation in the band.
see the atached file.

I hope that's the answer you're looking for.

Regards Said
Message 17 of 25
gregscolyer4692
in reply to: samoh21

I am after a Depth to Invert (not an Elevation)

Surely this can't be too hard for Autodesk to provide.

(see image attached)

Depth to Invert.JPG

Message 18 of 25
jmayo-EE
in reply to: gregscolyer4692

You would need to ask them. I've been on the forums for quite some time and this is the first time I recall a request for this. The Idea Station is here.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-ideas/idb-p/31/tab/most-recent.

I would also wonder id any of the County Kits would have a band label set to do this.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 19 of 25
jmayo-EE
in reply to: jmayo-EE

This post aside since there is really only a handfull of people who contributed here but I do find it very odd that this is not requested more by users.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 20 of 25
gregscolyer4692
in reply to: jmayo-EE

This thread has been around since 2011 with still no response from Autodesk. I can guarantee that I am not the only user requesting this Band Style.

As suggested I have attempted, through various methods, to flag this requirement with the developers at Autodesk, as a "must have" feature for documentation here in Australia.

Without theses type of features missing from Civil 3D, then I am afraid the uptake of Civil 3D, outside of the Americas, will only be spasmodic & ad-hoc

as users remain on alternative civil design software packages, that provide this feature out of the box (& other requirements needed for our documentation)

Please Autodesk can you have a look at providing this Band Style

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report