Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phantom line showing up in plots

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
abeckstead
10711 Views, 13 Replies

Phantom line showing up in plots

I have a phantom line showing up when I plot this particular drawing. When I plot this drawing, do a preview or plot to a pdf, I'm getting a phantom diagonal line going across the drawing. There is no object there in model space or paper space!!! I havn't left on any hidden/locked layers etc. I'm not doing anything I don't normally do with drawings like this. It's just a topographic map of a residence with a surface. I've purged, audited, recovered, even started a new drawing and inserted the componets and nothing fixes this. I feel like throwing my computer out the window and applying at Wal-mart... any ideas!?!

Thanks,

Aaron

If only...
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Neilw_05
in reply to: abeckstead

It may be that you are seeing a leader or dimension line from an XREF. For reasons I've never learned, sometimes the lines from leaders, dimensions and hatches will show up in plots even though they are turned off in your model space or frozen in the viewport. The only way to stop it from happening is to FREEZE the layers containing the problem lines in model space. That includes XREF's as well. Please check ALL your references to see if there is a line crossing the drawing in that location. Remember to check any layers that might be turned off or frozen in the source drawings. If you find the line, freeze that layer in Model Space in your host drawing. It has to be frozen, not OFF.

HTH

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 3 of 14
Charles_Shade

Getting the same thing in AutoCAD LT 2012 and have posted with another in the AutoCAD Forum who is having similar problem.

Kind of glad I'm not alone.

Message 4 of 14
abeckstead
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Charles,

It turned out to be part of a contour. I had to explode and trim it to stop it... kinda lame, but whatever.

Aaron

If only...
Message 5 of 14
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Hi Charlse, good to see ya, Smiley Wink I really fell behind on my dyno block chops, but my c3d chops got better.

I had stray lines in PDF's and then updated to a newer PDF driver and they went away.

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 6 of 14
Charles_Shade
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Good Day Joe, I saw you were busy over on Civ 3D. I'm still learning in Dyn Blk. Couple of young bucks over there doing interesting things. Best part of the Forum is getting new ideas.

(yes I am replying to nearly year old post. Never saw the notice of the response.)

Message 7 of 14
glorig

Same issue. See attached topo we were having issues with. This was an xref in a plan and profile sheet and we could not figure out where the lines were coming from. They did not show up in plot preview or show in model space.

It turns out the survey file had 2 survey figures with messed up elevations. The elevations actually read "value too large to format" in the survey figure edit elevation panorama.

I suspect this may be the issue many have had. Hope this helps.

Greg

Message 8 of 14
abazaba667

I had this same problem on Autocad 2012 LT.

I updated to service pack 2, and it was still there.

I purged and audited, and it was still there until I went from model space back to paper space and the line was visible and I was able to delete it.

Good luck!

C

Message 9 of 14

I had a simmiliar problem. My "lines" was actually a series of dots simmilar to the dot linetype only very closely spaced. At first I thought it was the printer but turned out to be the drawing. Long story short, it was due to in image file (pdf in particular) that was "cropped" in paperspace.

Message 10 of 14
ksmart1975

I had a similar issue, where lines were only showing up when printing. The issue here is that we were using a PDF as our key map. It was creating phantom lines, that were consistently printed across the page (which made it look like it was something on the roller), but it was actually the PDF. Once I delete the PDF, and recreated the key map as a JPEG, the lines were gone.
Message 11 of 14
murray-clack
in reply to: ksmart1975

That line looks like the limits of the Layout Viewport.

If it is on a layer that is "OFF", try setting the layer to "FROZEN" instead

Message 12 of 14

If I remember correctly, it only occurs when you use a PDF and crop it. Try modifying the PDF outside the Autodesk application or converting it to an image and using it instead.

Message 13 of 14

Thanks Edward. It was cropped PDF that was causing this issue.

I had figured this out a little while after I posted, but I forgot to reply back with my solution. Thanks for he follow up. Kudos all around!

Message 14 of 14
murray-clack
in reply to: ksmart1975

WELL?  What was it? Smiley LOL

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report