Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Period after direction in bearing labels

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
enokiitake
790 Views, 10 Replies

Period after direction in bearing labels

I'm trying to add a period into my bearing labels after each of the short name directions.  Example:  N.90°42'22"E.

I don't want any spaces between any of the characters.

I've already tried adding a text component and anchoring it to the bearing. That doesn't look right since there are no spaces and thus no room to put a period.

I want to add a period into the label after each direction as one single piece of text.

<[General Segment Direction(Udeg|FDMSd|MB|P4|RN|DSn|CU|AP|EN|DZY|OF)]>

The end period after the second direction is easy. Just add a period after all that stuff. 

Is there something I can add to this string of text to tell it to put a period after the first direction?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
sboon
in reply to: enokiitake

Try this and see if it will work for you.  Rather than trying to add the period to the original label I created a separate text component and put it there.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 11
tcorey
in reply to: sboon

If you turn on Flip Anchors with Text, the dot will show up when the label is flipped for readability.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 4 of 11
enokiitake
in reply to: sboon

This does not fix the problem that I stated in my question for multiple reasons:

1.  I've already noted that I have tried using text components in the label. I don't have a problem flipping the component with the label. I have a problem with the period not looking right since there are no spaces in the bearing. The period text component has no room the fit between the direction and the degrees.

2.  As stated, I want my label to be of one single piece of text. Adding text components will make it multiple pieces of separate text.

I want the period to work naturally into the label. Not a work-around. There has to be a piece of coding or something that can accomplish this in the setup of the label.

Message 5 of 11
BrianHailey
in reply to: enokiitake

One component? Can't be done (currently)

How to avoid the spaces? Create a LOT of  components and use expressions to supress their display.

One expression for the N.

One expression for the S.

One expression for the E.

One expression for the W.

Each of those is a seperate component. The interior component would then be a period followed by the direction (without the NS and EW). Unfortunately, if you use a bearing, it will have the NS and EW. Using an azimuth lable sort of works but then you get some bigger number then you want so you'll need to create an expression for that as well (haven't gone through that entire process yet but it should be doable).

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 6 of 11
doni49
in reply to: BrianHailey

Brian,

How would you propose to do this?  When looking at the Expression editor, it doesn't look like it'll allow you to return a string which I think you'd need.

Expressions.png

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 7 of 11
BrianHailey
in reply to: doni49

Basically, the expression is a test. Is this value true? If it's true, display the text, if not, don't display (or some variation thereof). The way I do this is with the height of the text. So, in essence, it would go something like this:

IF(line is going north,0.1/12,0)

So, if the line is going north, return .1". If not, return 0. Use this for the text height on the N component. Repeat the process for the S, E, and W. String together the components, and BOB'S YOUR UNCLE!

Come to think of it, my moms brother is named Bob...

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 8 of 11
BrianHailey

@doni49 wrote:

...it doesn't look like it'll allow you to return a string which I think you'd need.

I would LOVE for an expression to be able to return a string. That would make life SO much easier!

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 9 of 11
doni49

@BrianHailey wrote:

Basically, the expression is a test. Is this value true? If it's true, display the text, if not, don't display (or some variation thereof). The way I do this is with the height of the text. So, in essence, it would go something like this:

IF(line is going north,0.1/12,0)

So, if the line is going north, return .1". If not, return 0. Use this for the text height on the N component. Repeat the process for the S, E, and W. String together the components,

The reason I was trying to do it via expression editor, is that I don't see an "N" component or anything similar.  All I can find is a Bearing component which returns the ENTIRE bearing

@BrianHailey wrote:

and BOB'S YOUR UNCLE!

Come to think of it, my moms brother is named Bob...

So your kids' uncle is Bob!  🙂

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 10 of 11
BrianHailey

You'll need to create a text component that only contains the letter N and then apply this expression to its height.

And my uncle is Bob...

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 11 of 11
Bill_Myron

sboon seemed to have the easiest label.

I came up with a different approach. I created some similar labels for pipes and structures in these threads:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-general/pipe-labels-with-direction/m-p/5237347#M25683...

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-general/pipe-network-structure-label/m-p/5179837#M254...

The only issue is getting the Bearing to display without the directions so that we can substitute our own. I ended up using a long expression for this that ended up working out.

Then I created the N., S., E., W., expressions for text height and apply those to text components in the label composer. Played around with some locations and it seems to work out pretty good. Make sure to turn on the flip anchors with text option.

I know you only want 1 piece of text for this label, but you cannot be done.

I have attached a drawing with the label that I came up with.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report