Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance

25 REPLIES 25
Message 1 of 26
Anonymous
661 Views, 25 Replies

Performance

I run 3D 2007 SP3 on Pentium 3.2 GHz and 2mb RAM. I have serious perfomance issues with Civil 3D. Commands take ages and I wait about 60 - 70% of a day for commands to complete. The bigger the drawing grows, the longer everything takes. We had a similar problem with LDT and aquired 3D and reduced the use of vieports although we always need a few. Our drawings consist mostly of 20 - 30 layouts with one viewport each and xrefs. If I delete all the layouts and have just a model space, it does not improve the performance. Any information will help, also about the best ways of putting a drawing together with all the xrefs, layouts and viewports. Are there more people that experience these kind of performance issues or am I the exception?
25 REPLIES 25
Message 21 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

How do you use one drawing/one tab when you need multiple layouts for your different sheets?
Message 22 of 26
logokster

I have a few questions myself. I use 4 drawings, an Existing, a Geometry, a Utility and Profile, and a Grading drawing. Now the corresponding sheets go into each drawings i.e. layout sheets are in geometry, plan and profile in the utility and profile, etc. I am running into a little of a problem because I have around 20 or so sheets in my utility and profile for plan and profiles and it is getting slower by the day, but still usable. If I use a sheet per drawing rule as previously mentioned, do I shortcut and Xref everything I need for that sheet into that drawing and do my lableing in the drawing (with the sheet) or do I do the labeling in the base drawings? I have not had a chance to toy with the pipe network shortcut. Thanks for the help, this is something I started to do, the breaking up of sheets but ran into trouble because before SP3, the shortcuts did not keep there linkage.

Brandon
Message 23 of 26
kirknoonan

If you use the data shortcuts, you can assign your references a style and label everything in the target drawing.
Message 24 of 26
Anonymous

We have notice a speed increase when disabling multithreading on our dual xeon processor workstations with Civil 3D 2007. I am not sure if it is an issue with HP xw8200 workstations or Civil 3D. We have been looking for any suggestions for optimization or stability.

James
Systems Manager
Message 25 of 26
sboon

It's been a while since I had this problem, but I remember Nick Zeeben telling me to check that my virus scanner was excluding drawing files. ACad moves files in and out of the temp folder all the time, and you don't want to waste time scanning them every time.
Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 26 of 26
ralstogj

I am having the same issues with 35 to 40 layouts. Just found this suggestion on the web and will try with layout caching.

Extremely slow layout switching in AutoCAD
Yesterday I spent a little over 2 hours trying to fix an AutoCAD setup for an architect. Of 5 computers in the office one was opening files and switching layouts with a very long delay - about 2-3 minutes before you could return to work. Sure, the files were big and had many objects but the workstation was an HP Pentium 4 3.2 GHz with 512 MB of RAM…
The problem was that each time AutoCAD regenerated the whole project it kept working and working… The most time was spent on formatting text so I started
poking around in AutoCAD options and then started looking at Windows’ display settings. It was obvious that the whole delay was caused when redrawing the layers.
Well, we finally found the solution. There was nothing else to change in AutoCAD and changing the system Display settings did not affect the speed at all. So I turned off font smoothing in windows Display | Appearance | Effects and all of a sudden AutoCAD started working like it was supposed too. All 3.2 GHz to your command
I often say this, and it’s so far been true: the simplest solutions are always the hardest to find. I’m an administrator and programmer with years of experience and yet there are problems like this one that waste a lot of my time

Regards

Justin Ralston
Regards

Justin Ralston
http://c3dxtreme.blogspot.com/

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report