Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDF from DWG Errors

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
andrew.warren
871 Views, 12 Replies

PDF from DWG Errors

We have a couple people with this same problem... You print a drawing it looks fine, you DWF a drawing it works fine, but when you send it to the PDF writer some of the text becomes blocks of nonsense. And the weird thing is it is a paragraph of DText and only one or two lines in the middle are like this. All the same font, style and size? It has happened with drawings done by other people and sent to us (passably microstation some Gov drawings). The really weird thing is when someone else prints it to PDF for us it works fine. I am not sure if maybe they use a PDF writer instead of AutoCAD 2010 or how they are doing it.

Here is a snap of the area, the words are blurry on here but that is just the PDF snap shot the only area I am concerned with it is characters that look like large "......"
Andy Warren
BCDesign@bellsouth.net
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
tcorey
in reply to: andrew.warren

What are you setting for vector resolution and have you tried the different font handling options?

Tim Corey

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 13

Res I have tried 100 to 300dpi How do you adjust the font handling? I have looked everywhere for it?
Andy Warren
BCDesign@bellsouth.net
Message 4 of 13
tcorey

Go to the Custom Proerties for the DWG to PDF.pc3. That page has Font Handling about 2/3 the way down the page.

TC

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 5 of 13

Ok that fixed it... I think it was due to the shx files being used not being coverted correctly to fonts in the PDF.
Andy Warren
BCDesign@bellsouth.net
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous

Keep this in mind too Andy when you are using raster images.
http://map3d.wordpress.com/2009/03/16/raster-images-problems/

--
Murph
www.map3d.wordpress.com

wrote in message
news:6236804@discussion.autodesk.com...
Ok that fixed it... I think it was due to the shx files being used not being
coverted correctly to fonts in the PDF.
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous

Hi

I am experiencing a similar problem with C3d 2009 DWG to PDF.pc3. The preview looks perfect then when you open the pdf file all entities created with C3D components like the labels, spot elev, etc all text looks fat and wrong (all Arial font). I have tried to find the Custom Properties Font Handling but when I click on Properties in the Plot for DWG to PDF.pc3 the Custum Properties section only has PDF Properies window which allows me to edit Resolutions - Vector and Raster. When I create DWF every looks great however, my submission authority wants pdf's only. So if anyone can tell me how to convert from DWF to PDF - I am having no luck with that in Design 2009 or 2010. Any help would be so appreciated!! Of course Friday morning deadlines!!

Thanks!
Message 8 of 13

You are in the right area, under prop when printing to a pdf (you can get here three different ways) chose custom properties>custom properties. Then underneath the resolution their is something about capturing fonts. choose the one on the far right that says capture all, but make sure to check the as geometry toggle. Basically the PDF's can recognize fonts as fonts, except when AutoCAD adds in a symbol from the font (ie CL or diameter). This makes everything in the PDF like a picture would be instead of like it does word docs. The down side is it makes a much larger pdf, so we only do it when we have to, the rest of the time I leave the font recognition on.
Andy Warren
BCDesign@bellsouth.net
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

Hey Andrew,

Thanks for your speedy reply. But I don't have that option for my DWG to PDF.pc3 . This is what I get in my custum properties. What seems even worse is that this only happens when I convert a dwg to pdf with Arial Font in the label styles if the label styles are Roman S every works fine! Wow, what a pain!
Message 10 of 13

That is odd I have the same version of Civil 3D on this computer...

Andy Warren
BCDesign@bellsouth.net
Message 11 of 13
tcorey

To GHamill,

The font handling is not built-in with AutoCAD 2009. You can go to the subscription center and download the free PDF printing extension. This functionality is standard in 2010.

Tim Corey

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous

Need helping running subscription bonus pack 2. I have installed it using the wizard, created the vbs file and then the instructions say excute?! I am certain this is something I should know how to do - but can't figure it out. I have tried to drag it into Autodesk. I have tried to do a vbarun but it wants a dvb file - please help me.

Thanks in advance!

Ok I figured out I just open it but I am recieving this window script - anyone shed any light for me?

Scrip: C:\install\autodesk\subscriptionBonusPack2.vbs
Line: 15
Char: 3
Error: Expected Statement
Code: 800A0400
Source: Microsoft VBScript Compilation Error

Edited by: ghamill on Oct 2, 2009 5:20 PM Edited by: ghamill on Oct 2, 2009 5:33 PM
Message 13 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: tcorey

Thank you to all who answered this ?, I hope this helps some others.

I was having a problem with Civil 3d 2011 DWG to PDF print function.  The preview image would look fine, but the actual PDF had problems.  The PDF did not print many of my labels properly.  Fortunately for me, the discussion group had already handled this problem.  Below is a step by step supplement to the existing resources.

Print setting mods to fix strange characters DWG to PDF creates.

1.  Select printer "DWG TO PDF.pc3"

2.  Click 'PROPERTIES"

3.  Under "DEVICE AND DOCUMENT SETTINGS" tab, select "CUSTOM PROPERTIES"

4.  Click "CUSTOM PROPERTIES" button below

5.  Change "FONT HANDLING" characteristics to match image below

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report