Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC3 files randomly need device

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
roach.matthew
221 Views, 4 Replies

PC3 files randomly need device

We have been using pc3 files successfully for years.  Now a few users randomly get the Device Needed prompt when they select a pc3 file to plot with.  Closing Civil 3D 2014 and opening it back up will allow them to use the pc3 file without issue.  We have tried recreating the pc3 files, but it continues to happen.  Mulltiple users are reporting the issue on multiple files.  It happens once every day or two to a handful of users.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
AllenJessup
in reply to: roach.matthew

Has anything changed with the device. Has the name been edited, a new driver version been installed or a new network path been assigned? It sounds like a connection problem to me. Not a problem with the PC3 file. Actually, since it's an intermittent problem it may be the network its self.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
roach.matthew
in reply to: AllenJessup

The driver version may have changed, but we have recreated the pc3 files since then with the new driver.  The plotter is a DesignJet 4500.  It hasn't changed in 6 years.  I'm not really sure how to diagnose a network issue.  The printer share they connect to is on a local server and everyone is connected through gigabit Cisco switches.  Maybe I can look on the Cisco switch for higher than expected packet loss.

Message 4 of 5
odoshi
in reply to: roach.matthew

I take it the PC3 files are shared from a network location?

If so, make sure the printer name on everyone's computer is spelled exactly as it was when the PC3 file was made. (Check Control Panel -> Printers...)

Just a stab in the dark, but I saw the same thing at a client's office recently.

Regards,

Mike

Mike Caruso
Autodesk Certified Instructor 2014
AutoCAD/Civil 3D Autodesk Certified Professional 2014, 2015, 2018
www.whitemountaincad.com
Message 5 of 5
roach.matthew
in reply to: odoshi

They are stored on the network, but we copy them locally when the user logs in.  We create them separately for each shared plotter.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report