Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC incredibly slow

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
bozoli
635 Views, 9 Replies

PC incredibly slow

Hi everyone,

i have a huge frastration with my PC performance because i thought i have tha best PC ever. But with the rate that it processes the comaands. i am doing the township roads. about 10 number of roads, (approximately 500m each in length). i basically work in one drawing, all my long section, cross section and plan in one master drawing, and i use Sheet Set Manager for my production of drawings. The master drawing sile size is approximately 20Mb.

problem is:

-it take about 15 to 20 seconds to switch between layouts.

-it take about 15 to 20 seconds to REGEN.

-it take about 15 to 20 seconds to SAVE the file.

i loose about have a day waiting the programme to respond, which is the clients smoney that have

is the a way i can strategically arrange my design files or some sort of software set-up to increase the perfomance of the machine, cause i donnot see the upgrading as an option. this is really frustra

much appreciated for the respond coming forward.

Silver

Windows 7 Professional

Acer Aspire Z5081

Intel Core i5-2400S CPU @2.50GHz 2.50GHz

12.0GB

64bit operating system

NVIDIA GeForce GT520 1GB

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
antoniovinci
in reply to: bozoli

I'd bet on one of these issues:

1] your laptop has a virus

2] the hard disk needs defragmentation

3] the hard disk is damaged

4] some network paths are broken

Message 3 of 10
bozoli
in reply to: antoniovinci

Thanx Anton,

but just to clear some few things up. The pc is 3 weeks old, and the AutoCAD C3d 2013 was the first programme installed and operated before any other software or pugged in a network. and the problem started from the 1st minute i started using it.

So you reckon that i might have bought the scrap but brand new machine?

Message 4 of 10
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> The pc is 3 weeks old, and the AutoCAD C3d 2013 was the first programme installed and operated 

>> before any other software or pugged in a network

Then check out point 4 from antoniovinci

BTW: before having installed all Windows-updates I would not have installed AutoCAD

And to install the Windows-Updates you need a connection to internet, to use a connection to internet you would have to install an antivirus-software + verified the settings for a firewall/proxy/whatever your environment is .... so you would have to do a lot of things before starting application-installation. ....my 2c 😉

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 10

If you're sure that network paths, workgroups and domain authorizations are ok, so try this free HDD rel.2.55 diagnostic (full scan, not quick).

Message 6 of 10
LionelFabre_EGIS

Hi, Have you tried to set the variable "proxygraphics" to 0 ?

I don't know with C3D 2013 but with the previous versions, it was efficient.

Lio

Message 7 of 10
Lisa_Pohlmeyer

In addition to the items already mentioned, you can also exclude typical AutoCAD items from being scanned on a regular basis, like DWG, DXF, DWF, etc.  We write a list of exclusions and then export/import them on all our other workstations.

Also, you might consider your workflow of having everything in one drawing.  I wouldn't want to work on a 20Mb drawing.  We keep our C3D objects separate and use data references without issue.  

Base dwg (existing conditions, dumb linework)

Alignments & Profiles

Corridors

Cross Sections

This way is something gets corrupted, the entire project drawing structure isn't affected.

After we create our surfaces, alignments, etc. we always create LandXML files of them for backup purposes.

Just a thought...

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 8 of 10
AllenJessup

Did you deactivate the antivirus before installing? Did you install from DVDs, Flash drive or download?

Does your antivirus scan every file and disc operation? If so. Can you set it to ignore DWG, DWT, DXF, SV$, AC$ and any other file you can think that Civil uses. I find our antivirus is a huge resource hog. Only rivaled by Civil itself.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 10
rnoyes

A couple of things I would do:

1) Get section views/sample lines in their own file.  In earlier versions they slow performance SIGNIFICANTLY

2) run a -purge "regapps" removing all unused registered apps.  This also has had a significant performance boost in my experience

3) It never hurts to do a video driver check to be sure you have the latest or at least the latest approved driver

Sorry I don't have a guaranteed solution but we have found here the Section views in their own file and the regapps removal tends to provide a huge performance increase.  Remember the regapps are like a virus, you need to remove them from your file and any file that is referenced into your file so you may spend a little time doing that but we have seen performance of some files (opening, printing, etc) reduced by 75% by cleaning files up.

Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

All the suggestions above are great, also, make sure hardware acceleration is on and/or toggle it to see if the performance changes.

A lot of corridors, sample lines and section views will slow down any computer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report