Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pavement Grade Plan

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
CAusen
1728 Views, 8 Replies

Pavement Grade Plan

I have been trying to find the best/most efficient way to make a pavement grade plan for my current project. The only two ways that I know of are:

1) Home Tab->points->Create Points-Alignments->Measure Alignment then select my mainline alignment, enter a profile, enter an offset to create the points. Then assigned elvations of the points to my "pavement" surface.

2) Make lines perpendicular to your alignment (I used sample lines, exploded them to a block reference)->Make a feature line and snap at each 25' segment->Assigned elevations of the feature line to my "pavement" surface->used custom line and curve labels to label start segment z value.

My issue with option 1) is on my project there are multiple curves and I don't know of anyway that I can have the labels follow my alignment. I think the way the aligment labels work is if I would edit the label I would have to manually edit the angle and with multiple curves I don't think this would work the best.

My issue with option 2) is my project is roughly 1.75 miles long with 8 lanes and 12' shoulders, I would have to make roughly 4000 elevation points on my feature lines.

Are there any other ways to complete this task?

Craig Ausen

C3D 2012

Windows 7 64 Bit

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
BrianHailey
in reply to: CAusen

I may not understand exactly what you are trying to accomplish but it sounds like a corridor may be the best approach.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 3 of 9
jmayo-EE
in reply to: BrianHailey

I would agree. It sounds like he has the alignment and profile. All that's left is a typical section/assembly and creating the corridor.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 4 of 9
CAusen
in reply to: BrianHailey

Sorry I should have explained where exactly I am with my current project.

I have created offset alignments off of my reference line, created a proposed profile, and set my superelevation. I have generated my corridor, and I have made five corridor surfaces to represent my pavement/base structure.

Attached is a PDF of what I am looking to generate.

Craig

Message 5 of 9
brian.strandberg

I would create a composite FG surface by creating a blank surface then EDIT & PASTE your other corridor surfaces.

If you wish to use the points method you can create a point, change the display of the point using the All Points point group, and then place the points.  

You can then right click on the points you have created, and select elevations from surface.

As for automating the point creation, it may be possible to write a script file.  I will experiment with it and post later.

I rarely have time to post. If what I post helps please use Accept as Solution / Like when appropriate.

Check out my Civil 3d blog at: http://c3dk.com/
Message 6 of 9

I think creating a script file is going to be more of a pain than it is worth.

The Create Points points measure alignment seems to be much easier.  You can create along the face of curb for the entire alignment or range of alignment, then delete the points that will not be needed.  Once they are created you can run elevations from surface.  The command will repeat at your interval with the same defaults, so a minimum of typing is needed.

_AeccCreatePointMeasureAlign

Command: _AeccCreatePointMeasureAlign
Select alignment:

Starting station <0+00.00>:

Ending station <5+41.96>:

Specify an offset <0.000>: -10

Enter an interval <10.000>: 25

Enter a point description <.>: Lane

I rarely have time to post. If what I post helps please use Accept as Solution / Like when appropriate.

Message 7 of 9
CAusen
in reply to: brian.strandberg

Like I said in my option 1, I am unable to get the labels to rotate properly around curves. I like how it is automated but when I have multiple curves on my project I can't just change the angle the label is based on. I would more than likely have to hand rotate each grade in order to make the plan look correct.

Craig

Message 8 of 9
brian.strandberg

I apologize, I mis-read the question.

The only way I see to do this is with an alignment station offset label.  You can create the points as before, but then copy a station offset label to the point locations.   Then delete the points.

The style I have set up will auto-rotate the label.  The label I have shown in the drawing has a drag state to allow you to offset the label. 

It is not a great solution.  The choice will be your if you are better off rotating the points lables, or having to copy the station offset label.  If you object snap to the point marker, you should be able to copy the sta/off labels quickly.

Message 9 of 9
CAusen
in reply to: brian.strandberg

Thanks for the idea! We actually think your idea would work a little better than my option two. Again not ideal due to the amount of labels I will have to add, but its a work around.

Thanks again,

Craig

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report