Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pasting surfaces

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
wbrustle
330 Views, 6 Replies

pasting surfaces

I have two surfaces that I have successfully pasted together, and I was wondering the best way to merge the contours together at the point where the two surfaces meet. The point at which the contours meet are slightly off a har and look a little jagged. Do I manually smooth them out, or is there a command that will do this?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Neilw_05
in reply to: wbrustle

Likely the reason for the mismatch is due to the seam of the pasted surface not being at precisely the same elevations as the surface below it. To remedy that you will need to ensure the boundary of the paste surface is draped on the surface below. How you go about doing that depends on how your boundary was created.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 3 of 7
jmayo-EE

This may help. As Neil said the important part is to get the smaller inner boundary to lie exactly on the larger surface.

http://www.civil4d.com/2010/04/blending-surfaces/

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
MikeEvansUK

I sometimes create two boundaries for each surface which have a gap between each other (depending on the accuracy of them). For accurate or tied together surfaces I would use a small gap (0.01m) or none at all and inaccurate surfaces such as Lidar etc I use a 10-20m gap.

I then cut a hole using a hide boundary in the outer (larger) surface and paste the surfaces together to form a new composite surface.

This ends with a hole between the two surfaces but if you add the two boundary lines as breaklines and ensure that they are above the pasted surfaces in the edits it will (most times) fill in the gap for you.

In the situation of surfaces which are inaccurate the larger gap between will automatically blend between the surfaces taking out any level differences between the two, dependent on where the boundary lies. If it's over a ditch you may consider tweaking it's position so that it lies outside.

M.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 5 of 7
AllenJessup

I'd go with the method jfmayo posted. But to answer your question. There is a Smooth Surface command - AeccSmoothSurface.

SSrf.png

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
jmayo-EE

If I can add to Allen's post that smoothing can be isolated to specific areas on the surface. It does'nt have to smooth the entire surface.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
wbrustle
in reply to: jmayo-EE

thank you for all of your suggestions....I am going to try these and I will get back to all of you and let you know how I make out....probably sometime later today:)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report