Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paste multiple surfaces, one more paste causes TIN lines to jump boundaries.

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
jesserclark
1313 Views, 3 Replies

Paste multiple surfaces, one more paste causes TIN lines to jump boundaries.

I am pasting multiple surfaces to create an FG surface.  I can paste the first 28 surfaces into FG without error.  When I paste the 29th surface, it causes all of the TIN lines to sudenly jump the boundaries, even on portions of the surface that are not adjacent to the new surface I am pasting.  I tried creating an outer boundary native to this dwg, but that did not help either. 

It is not a program 'error' really, no error warnings, circular references etc.  It does not seem to be specific to this one surface, but any surface I want to add to this FG.  Is there an upper limit on surfaces pasted into an FG?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
ccoles
in reply to: jesserclark

28 surfaces pasted into one is a lot!. This file must be a monster to handle.

Does this composite surface need to be dynamic to all the pasted surfaces? If not, you can simplify the surface definition by shortcutting it into a new file, then promoting it. This will 'reset' the surface by giving you a resulting surface without all the pasted surfaces in the definition. Then, continue to add more surfaces to it. It really helps reduce the file size and the number of operations when working with the surface.

Windows 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5610, Dual-Xeon 2.6Ghz, 16 Gig RAM
Civil 3D 2013
Message 3 of 4
jesserclark
in reply to: ccoles

Thank you.  That is a good workaround, which I may consider as we lock down the design elements further in the design process.  Unfortunately, I do need to keep these surfaces dynamic for the time being.

Message 4 of 4

I believe am working on something similar to you, and have found that if I make an XML of the composite surface then I will be able to paste more surfaces on top of it....  though this does mean you will loose any dynamic updating capability of the composite.

It would be fantastic if there was a way to just paste portions of a surface that are lower, or portions of a surface that are higher in one operation.   Smiley Frustrated

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report