Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part swapping Pipe network not showing correctly in data referenced sheets

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
htothethird
2577 Views, 4 Replies

Part swapping Pipe network not showing correctly in data referenced sheets

Im running C3D 2010 and I have a base file with my entire pipe network.  I had to change alot of pipe sizes and types.  Closed it, saved it.  I opened my sheets and the pipe network (which is data referenced into my sheet) is showing the new locations of the structures, but it's still showing the old structure and pipe types.  I've syncronized.  Other drafter tells me I have to go into every sheet and change the style of each structure and pipe.  Seriously??  Isn't this the point of a pipe network, to update!!  Someone please have a better answer!  Thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ralstogj
in reply to: htothethird

I have just came across the same issue in 2012. Not sure of a quicker way but was thinking for the future to xref the pipes in as well as dataref but for the dataref style making everything no display. There should be a way to lock or reset the pipe styles to want is used in the base drawing.

Regards

Justin Ralston
http://c3dxtreme.blogspot.com/
Message 3 of 5
rnoyes
in reply to: htothethird

I have had LONG discussions with Autodesk about this, as far as they were concerned it is working as designed.  I can understand PART of their logic, just like with a surface or any other type of reference, you can chose to display the structure differently in one file type vs another by using a different style.  SO when you attach the data reference and assign a style that is a unique attachment for the reference.  The model information is correct (so if you had a profile and changed a structure from say a catch basin to a headwall the change would display assuming you are showing the "from model" display  in your profile).

This has led to us being VERY careful with where we use data references for pipe networks in particular.  We ONLY data reference when cutting a profile and displaying structures in that profile or when doing conflict detection.  All the other work we typically do with structures (labelling in a variety of plans for example) is done thru xrefs.  Then your plan display updates.

In your case if you havent added any labels thru the data reference I would just delete the reference and recreate it.  If you have labelled everything, the best suggestion I have is think of the time it will take you to relabel vs hunting down the structures you changed the type of and do whichever is less painful.

The first time we ran into this I was irritated, once they explained their reasoning to me, I still wasn't happy but I could see the logic in their approach even if I think it is the wrong approach.

Message 4 of 5
htothethird
in reply to: rnoyes

Thanks.

I agree and see the logic, but there should be an override for something of this nature, like a visretain type setting.

Either way, I'll take your advice and do the least painful thing as I already have the labels set up and there is over 50 sheets.  Good bye Monday!

Thanks again for your help

Message 5 of 5
alanjt_
in reply to: rnoyes

I know I'm digging up an old thread, but I'm encountering the issue and I'm curious about some of your methods (currently using v2013).

1. You say you only shortcut in pipe networks for profiles. What do you do for the plan display for you plan/profile sheets?

2. In regards to the first question, I'm assuming you have situations where the pipe network in xrefed and data referenced in, do you have issues with a profile/cross section not updating/displaying since you have duplicate instances (xref + data reference) of the same network; something I've encountered in the past where I had the pipe network in the base file, then xrefed it into my plan/profile sheets, but had to also data reference the network in to have it drawn in the profile.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report