AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Distinguished Contributor
paul.m.graf
Message 1 of 4 (253 Views)

Part Building: Assigning Custom Properties

253 Views, 3 Replies
08-07-2012 07:49 AM

Does anyone know if it's possible to use a custom properties within part builder to calculate pipe sizes?

Within part builder I have created a new parametric part under the rectangular pipe chapter.

This new parametric will represent a electrical conduit ductbank that will vary in size depending on the number of conduits in the ductbank. For example a 2 x 3 ductbank would have 2 columns and 3 rows of a 3" conduit. So the width and height of the rectangualr duct bank would be calculated this configuration. I will have up to 12 rows and coluimns in a single ductbank, so I might have a 10x10, 3x12, 12x 1, etc.

I have a custom pipes catalog and within the AeccPartParamCfg.xml I have created 2 custom propertes named ROWS & COLUMNS.

My question is can this custom property be used to calculate the the height & width on the rectangular pipe within part builder? Once I draw my pipe I would like the ability to edit ROWS & COLUMNS within the Pipes Properties to change its size. is this possible?  See image below.

Pipes catalog.PNG

Product Support
SethHall
Message 2 of 4 (220 Views)

Re: Part Building: Assigning Custom Properties

08-09-2012 12:39 PM in reply to: paul.m.graf

Hi Paul-

Judging from your screen shot, it appears that you have attempted it and it did not work. I also gave it a shot with no luck. From my perspective it does not seem like this is possible. Anyone else care to chime in with thoughts/suggestions?

Seth Hall
Product Support
GCSO - CSS - FTS
Autodesk, Inc.

Being Civil
Being Civil Twitter
Being Civil Facebook

Distinguished Mentor
andrewpuller3811
Message 3 of 4 (208 Views)

08-10-2012 04:27 AM in reply to: paul.m.graf

check out this post by Seth Hall over at Being civil.

http://beingcivil.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/07/assigning-optional-properties-to-a-part-size.html

and this one over at Design and motion by John Evans

http://designandmotion.net/autodesk/aec-pages/autocad-civil-3d/civil-3d-part-builder-solutions/#more...

If this fixed your issue, click on "Accept as Solution"

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 2600 @ 3.40 GHz with 16GB Ram
Civil 3d 2013 64bit
Distinguished Contributor
paul.m.graf
Message 4 of 4 (202 Views)

08-10-2012 06:27 AM in reply to: andrewpuller3811

Thanks.. I have read those links. I have no problem assigning custom properties. The question or problem I have is can a custom property be used to help calculate the part size?

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.