Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Builder

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
brian
1167 Views, 5 Replies

Part Builder

I am trying to make parts in part builder but when I try saving I get the error message "error saving XML file". I tried changing the setting on the files for saving but that doesnt seem to help. Has anyone else encountered this. 

Thanks  

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
SethHall
in reply to: brian

This could still be a permissions issue. Try right clicking on the Civil 3D icon>RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR then see if you can save your parts.

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 3 of 6
brian

Yes that did work. I should not have any adminstrative rights issues since its my own computer but there must be something somewhere cause it was saving it there but I couldnt view it. thanks

Message 4 of 6
SethHall

Glad to help! Even though you may have full administrative rights on your machine, this still can happen. Specifically on Windows 7 machines. You can also edit the icon to always run as administrator at startup through RIGHT CLICK>PROPERTIES>COMPATIBILITY>PRIVILEGE LEVEL.

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 5 of 6
andrewpuller3811

Check the permissions on the pipe catalog folder.

For 2012 it is located here :- C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\C3D 2012\enu\Pipes Catalog

Right click on the folder and click on the security tab. On my computer the Users only have Read & Execute, List Folder Contents and Read permissions. This is what is preventing you from saving the XML file.

Running as administrator should not be the solution (ask any IT department, they dislike giving user admin privledges), but works in this case.

Another solution would be to modify the user permissions to include modify and write permissions.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 6 of 6
SethHall
in reply to: andrewpuller3811

That is correct Andrew. However on Windows 7 machines, even with full permissions to the catalog folder, this can still occur: http://beingcivil.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/10/unable-to-save-changes-made-in-part-builder.html You are right, both places should be checked when you are unable to save.

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report