Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Builder - Save Part Family

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
sheriff12
2292 Views, 5 Replies

Part Builder - Save Part Family

I am working on the part builder tutorials for AutoCAD Civil 3D 2014. Every time I click "Save Part Family", I get the error message "Error Saving XML File". I have repeatedly done the tutorial to be sure I am following the instructions precisely. What does this "ERROR" affect in my tutorial? And, what can I do to fix this problem? Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
david.zavislan
in reply to: sheriff12

Part Builder stores all of the part parameters and information in an xml file.  This file is located with the part drawing in a folder under the current part catalog and chapter.   Without this file, the parts will not work.   You can see the path that is being used by selecting the Home ribbon > expand Create Design panel > Set Pipe Network Catalog command.   Make sure that the catalog location is a drive or folder that you have read/write permission, and the files and folders are not set to read-only.  I would also make sure that the part name does not contain any characters that Windows can't use as in a file name.

In addition to the part's xml file, the part is also added to the catalog's .apc file.  This file also uses xml.  It is located in the catalog's root folder and will have the same name as the catalog.   Make sure that this file exists is not set to read-only.

David Zavislan, P.E. | Wood Rodgers, Inc.
Message 3 of 6
sheriff12
in reply to: david.zavislan

Does this mean I have to create an .xml file and an .apc file? If so, I have no idea how to perform this function. If the files already exist, what do I have to do to access them? I have read/write permission for everything in this computers files. Did I miss something in the getting started tutorials that will tell me how to set up these files? Thanks for the info so far! But, I'm afraid what you told me is Greek to me and I don't actually understand what I should do next.

Message 4 of 6
MikeEvansUK

the application creates the xml file based on the modeling in part builder.

I recently had an issue alike this in 2014 following installation in win7 where I had no write privilages for the Appdata folder where the partdata is stored.

Please test the part catalog read write by running part data, editing any part and trying to save the part back to the catalog. If you recieve an error then you need to get your admin to grant you write permissions to the appdata folder.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 5 of 6
sheriff12
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

Did as you suggested. It all works fine now. Thanks!

Message 6 of 6
Koki4

I posted reply on another forum how I sorted it out in ver 2021, the error on the command line tells it all

Koki4_0-1606737732586.png

"C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\C3D 2021\enu\Pipes Catalog\Metric Structures\Metric Structures.apc
Command: PfSaveAs
ERROR: Unable to write to file, check write permissions"

Write permissions..., I am not sure why Autodesk does that but I changed my permissions for the file to Full and Voala I saved the changes.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/civil-3d-forum/part-builder-can-t-save-modified-structure/m-p/5576552...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report