Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Builder-Can't Save Modified Structure

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
smwagner
4930 Views, 14 Replies

Part Builder-Can't Save Modified Structure

I am attempting to add a few additional dimensions to a structure.  When I attempt to save my edits , it tells me that the file is read only.  If I attempt a save as it tells me there is an error saving XML file.  Anyone run into this before?  I am using 2012.  Thanks!

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Cadguru42
in reply to: smwagner

If you're using Windows Vista or Windows 7 the folder where the part data is location is probably set to read-only. The default folder should be C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\C3D 2012\enu\Pipes Catalog.  Just make sure that your login has the correct permissions to that folder.  

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 3 of 15
smwagner

That was the problem, found the solution at the following link:  http://beingcivil.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/04/cannot-save-part-in-partbuilderfile-is-read-only.htm...

Thanks!

Message 4 of 15
heathers

I am brining this back up because I am trying to do the same thing except I cannot change my account setting because I work for the man.  So in an attempt not to get the IS department involved is there another way to add pipe sizes to the allowable lists?  I need a rectangular storm drain 54in tall by 144in wide with a 12in wall thickness.

Message 5 of 15
SethHall
in reply to: heathers

Hi heathers-

Try this: http://beingcivil.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/10/unable-to-save-changes-made-in-part-builder.html I have seen this occur even if you have FULL admin rights.

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 6 of 15
heathers
in reply to: SethHall

Thanks for the idea but I cannot run programs as admisistrator because of the settings on my computer so I can't follow those instructions either.

Message 7 of 15
Cadguru42

Can you at least copy the pipe catalog folder to another folder that you have access to?  If so, you can change where C3D looks for the Pipe Catalog to the copied folder that you should have permissions with. Then you should be able to make the changes.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 8 of 15
heathers
in reply to: Cadguru42

This sounds like a great way to get around this.  I am using 2010 and the part builder path it shows it C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\C#D 2010\enu\Pipes Catalog\UUS Imperial Pipes\US Imperial Pipes.apc

but I dont see that file path when I go to Options:Files and look through the lists of support files.  So I am not sure where I would go to change the path after I have done a save as with the pipes file.

Message 9 of 15
Cadguru42

You can where C3D looks for the pipe catalog from the Pipe Networks Ribbon>Parts List>Set Network Catalog or from typing SetNetworkCatalog.  The dialog box that pops up lets you change where it looks for the files.  I copied the Pipes Catalog folder to another drive, set C3D to look for it there, and edited those parts.  This also allows you to not modify the stock pipe catalog in case you need to get it back for some reason.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 10 of 15
heathers
in reply to: Cadguru42

Thank you so much that worked perfectly 🙂  Take that AutoCAD, Windows, and IS department!

Message 11 of 15
bb
Contributor

We are having the same problem with all of our users, but are using Civil 3D 2014. The solution provided didn't fix the problem. Any ideas?

IDSP 2012-1015

Windows 7 64-bit

Message 12 of 15
cwr-pae

This works except ...

If others need to edit your network the parts in the network are not availile to them unless they are also path to the same directory.

You may also need to recreate the entire parts list so that all the pointers in the list point to parts in your new folder.

Message 13 of 15
Koki4
in reply to: cwr-pae

I see the discussion is quite old, but the problem persists even in 2021..

I managed to solve it after see in the error on the command bar(The Cant save XML) is not to helpful.

The error at the command line says :

"C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\C3D 2021\enu\Pipes Catalog\Metric Structures\Metric Structures.apc
Command: PfSaveAs
ERROR: Unable to write to file, check write permissions"

which gave me the idea what to do.

I checked the permissions of the APC file mentioned, and under security tab the permission for my user profile was only Read&execute and Read,

I edit it to add all permissions : (Full Control) which allowed me to save the edited part.

For anyone that don't know how to do that please see below screenshots, But I suppose you will need to have Administrator rights to do that..

I did not closed Part Builder while I was changed the permission, so I did not have to redo all edits I needed.

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png 

Message 14 of 15
yznsalameh
in reply to: Koki4

I did the same thing you mentioned above but still can't save any modified structure in the part builder.
The same message keeps appearing.

It's C3D 2022 btw

Message 15 of 15
dilraj.kt
in reply to: Koki4

It worked, thans! 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report