Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parcels - Lock and/or Lock with Password

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
BtimmermanMMS
437 Views, 8 Replies

Parcels - Lock and/or Lock with Password

Is it possible to lock a parcel after creation? Even better if it is possilbe or not would be the option to assign a password to the parcel.

Need this option to keep the parcel integrity in place and not allow edits after the specific phase of the subdivision is confirmed by client.

Anyone...?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Civil 3D 2013

HP Elitebook 8770w

Windows 7 64-bit

12GB RAM

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
TerryDotson
in reply to: BtimmermanMMS

Put the parcel geometry in a layer and lock the layer.   Sadly, no passwords on layer unlock.

Message 3 of 9
BtimmermanMMS
in reply to: TerryDotson

Yes, I am aware of the fact you can lock a layer.

Not what I was looking for.

Thanks though... 

Message 4 of 9
mathewkol

How about moving the file to a network share with read-only rights?
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 5 of 9
BtimmermanMMS
in reply to: mathewkol

My hope was to find a way inside the program to lock the parcel and/or lock with password.

From what I'm finding - it isn't possible. Which is expected - there is only so much the program folks can put into the software.

Plus, that is why we have wish list items that get included and also ways to customize the software and its features.

So, I'll write this off and move on.

No need for anyone to spend more time responding - it just isn't going to happen.

I'm OK with it - just wanted to be sure I wasn't overlooking it somewhere - maybe next release.

Thanks

Message 6 of 9
jggerth

gad -- I hope not.  the probability of password protecting components inside a drawing is equal to or greater than unity.

If you want to lock you parcels, and protect them from either inadvertant or deliberate changes, the keep the parcels in a separate drawing that's xreffed into your working drawings, and restrict permissions on the parcel file.

Message 7 of 9
rl_jackson
in reply to: jggerth

Make the file read only. Might help as well.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 9
dgorsman
in reply to: jggerth

Indeed.  What happens a year or two from now when its dug out of the archives?  Anybody going to remember the password then?  Probably not.  So the password has to be recorded somewhere... which makes any kind of lock pretty redundant if anybody can get to the key.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 9 of 9
jggerth
in reply to: dgorsman

or a soon-to-be ex-employee decides to leave some presents behind....  See the recent HomeDepot fiasco

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report