Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parcel Labels in layouts

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
AllenJessup
641 Views, 7 Replies

Parcel Labels in layouts

On a road project I have an acquisition parcel that is matched across 2 viewports on one layout. I would usually slide the parcel label so it's only visible on one layout. Then I'd add a second label that would be visible on the second layout.

This line happens to cross the viewport near the end. If I add a label in the lower viewport that looks reasonable. It will overlap in to the upper viewport. I can drag the label to very near the end of the line but it doesn't look right there. I don't think it's good procedure to try and force one parcel label on to it's own layer so it can be frozen in that one viewport.

Has anyone developed a technique for handling this situation?

plb.PNG

Allen Jessup

Civil 3D 2012 SP 2.1
Dell Precision T7400, Xeon CPU 3.16 GHz
Win 7 Pro, 64-bit,12 GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro FX 4600

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
troma
in reply to: AllenJessup

I don't use parcels, but in similar situations I have and would put C3D note labels or FL labels onto a layer to be VP frozen. I'll keep an eye on the thread though to see if any better ideas pop up.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 8
Jeff_M

I've used the separate layer method myself. I've also been know to VPCLIP the viewport with a pline drawn to omit the offending label.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 4 of 8
AllenJessup

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up just putting a wipeout over it. As you both mentioned. There are a few methods of handling it. But I feel they're workarounds for what might really be needed. The ability to freeze or hide individual objects per-viewport.

I like to check in on things like this occasionally to see if someone had come up with a better way to do it.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
troma

If you put the wipeout in paperspace you have to be sure there's nothing else close by or overlapping that you don't want to hide.  If you put the wipeout in modelspace you have to put it on a layer that can be vpfrozen in one viewport.  Either way it seems like it would be simpler to just put the note on a layer that can be vpfrozen? 

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 6 of 8
AllenJessup
in reply to: troma

@troma wrote:

Either way it seems like it would be simpler to just put the note on a layer that can be vpfrozen? 

Normally you'd be right. But I've found Parcel labels to be funny beasts. Getting them on a layer all by themselves with no link to another layer can be tricky. Especially when they're attached to the same parcel.

I may still try that. I needed to get out a preliminary plot so the wipeout was a quick solution. In paperspace I drew a polyline tightly around the offending arrow. I used that polyline to create the wipeout. So there's no danger of masking anything else. Of course, if I pan the layout the wipeout will have to be moved separately.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
JeffPaulsen

@AllenJessup wrote:
Getting them on a layer all by themselves with no link to another layer can be tricky.

I have not had any issues putting parcel or line/curve labels on individual layers. Our standards require these types of labels to be on many different layers depending on what we are labeling.

With that said these label styles are one of the few C3D styles that we left on layer 0. To be more specific the label layer on the General tab is set to 0. We just change the labels to the correct layer after they are created. If you are creating a lot of labels that need to be on the same layer you can set the object layer in the drawing settings.

Jeff Paulsen
Civil 3D 2020.4 | Win 10 Pro N 64-bit
Xeon W-2223 @ 3.60GHz, 32GB Ram | NVidia Quadro P2200
Message 8 of 8
jmayo-EE

Object and style layers at work. If the Styles have layer 0 assigned and the Object layer is set to 0 with a prefix or suffix then the labels will go to any layer like an autocad text string. I personally use matchprops all the time on parcel labels, parcel segments and segment labels. Matching layers and styles if needed.

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report