Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parcel and Surveying Question

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
cwgeary
961 Views, 9 Replies

Parcel and Surveying Question

I was curious what other people did with the parcels.  I really like the parcel features of civil 3d.  However we are having area problems.  The area that civil 3d gives you is correct.  But, when you take a hard copy of the plan and plot the metes and bounds manually, you will almost certainly get a different area than civil 3d.  Historically, the area we get by plotting the manual way is what we will show on the plans.  We always had to do this because the review agencies will plot the property this way to check our description and plan areas.

Has anyone run into this same issue?  For now, we are just using the parcels to create the metes and bounds or tags and we just list the areas manually on the plans.  Does anyone use the parcel areas?  If so, what do you do about the map checks and areas?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris
BARRY ISETT & ASSOCIATES, INC.
Civil3D 2014/2016
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 4700 @ 2.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro K1100M
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
rl_jackson
in reply to: cwgeary

I have routinely used the area provided by the parcel without much issue, sometime there will be a 1 sq ft area difference, but for the most part this is insignificant. Could it be a rounding issue - probably.

C3D12

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
BrianHailey

I've never heard of anyone wanting this before. Perhaps the Mapcheck utility could help you out with this. I don't know of anyway to automatically add a computed area as a label. You could add a user defined property to your parcels and use that in your label but you would have to manually change the number if the parcel changes. 

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 4 of 10
ctbailey

How big of a bust are you talking about?

_______
Craig T. Bailey, PE, LLS, PSM
Bailey Associates
www.bailey-associates.com
Message 5 of 10
cwgeary

We had done an ALTA for the property a few years back, and the computed area versus the area from civil 3d was off about 100 sf.  The parcel is about 55 acres, but the descreptancy is enough that it isn't insignifcant.

Chris
Civil3D 2014/2016
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 4700 @ 2.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro K1100M
Message 6 of 10
SurveyorLee

I have not had this issue.  It is most likely rounding errors on the bearings and slight distance differences.  What did you use to compute the old area.? With a parcel that size those errors can creep in easily.

Surveyor Lee

Message 7 of 10
SurveyorLee
in reply to: SurveyorLee

i have not had an issue with the map check and areas.  Re-reading your original post, it is probably rounding errors.  You may have a bearing that is up to 0.49 seconds different.  Not much, but when you go a thousand or two feet and then change the the distance up to 0.0049 feet, it adds up. Can you send a printout of the parcel areas with the maps?  The rounding on the printouts will match what is on your drawing.

Sruveyor Lee

Message 8 of 10
cwgeary

Thanks for the replies.  I have attached an image of the plan view labeled and also a shot of what we get with the mapcheck.  This one is a little more than 10 sf.

Chris
Civil3D 2014/2016
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 4700 @ 2.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro K1100M
Message 9 of 10
AllenJessup

You're labeling your areas to a few more decimal places than we would. We usually label to the nearest Sq.Ft. and to a 10th of an acre. But on a bigger parcel you'll still get a bit of a difference. We know that Civil will label the area with more accuracy.

I've never heard of review agencies disputing the boundaries or areas on a plan. I would think that an L.S.'s seal and signature would be all they'd need. If they make an issue of it. Make the offer to provide them with all the bearings and distances out to eight decimal places so they can check that. To me it's really a non-issue.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 10
SurveyorLee

You are surveying to a closer precision than we usually do.  I usually round to the closest square foot and 0.001 acres.   If you have a program that can do an area by coordinate method, you will probably get the correct area.  The decimal seconds and portions of length are causing your problems.  

Also check to be sure you don't have "Mapcheck across Chords" checked.  It was the install default on my CD3 package and you need it along the arc, not the chord.

Lee

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report