Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P&P Tool Creates PVs that are TOO TALL. And.....

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
doni49
409 Views, 13 Replies

P&P Tool Creates PVs that are TOO TALL. And.....

I have been experiencing somethat that is really annoying me.  I'm finally getting around to trying to fix it but I'm hoping someone here might have some insight.

When I use the P&P tool to cut my plan and profile sheets, the resulting Profile Views are TOO TALL to fit in the profile viewport.  In the first screenshot, you'll see that the Profile View goes from Zero to 76 -- haven't figured out why.  Then as the second screenshot shows, the layout tab has the vp showing only 28 to 44.

So I guess I have two issues:

1. Why is it creating Profile Views that are so obnoxiously tall?  In this case, the ENTIRE profile is within the elevation range of 0 - 5 (I was testing something).
  2. When the sheet is created, why is the profile's viewport showing THAT portion of the Profile View?

EDIT:  Just as I hit post, the answer to # hit me.  It's centering the profile view in the VP.  So if I can get the P&P tool to create Profile Views that are the correct size, it should work well.

P&PModel.png

P&PSheet.png

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
doni49
in reply to: doni49

The way I've been dealing with this issue has been to allow it to create them like this.  Then I have to go to each Profile View separately and:

1. turn off the "Split Profile View" setting
  2. Set User Specified Height to Min Ht =  20 ft below the lowest point on that portion of that profile (rounded to the first 20 ft interval below the low pt) and Max Ht = 20 ft above the hightest point on that portion of that profile.
  3. Move the Profile Views so that they will be centered in their respective viewports.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 14
doni49

I've made SOME progress on this myself.  But there are still issues.

I realized that when I was using the P&P tool, there was an option to select an existing Profile View as a method of controlling how the new ones display.  (although the one that WAS selected wasn't tall like these).

I used the "Create Multiple Profile Views Option to create profiles that do look.  I then ran the P&P tool choosing one of these as the source to copy from.  BETTER.  But even though the one that it's copying goes from 0 to 50, the ones that P&P create go from 0 to 70.

Don Ireland

Message 4 of 14
doni49

Here are some screen shots to help visualize this (and I'm going to attach my dwg file which is in C3D 2014).

P&PDialog.png

P&PModel2.png

This is what the source view looks like:

P&PSourceView.png

And this is one of the views that the P&P tool created.

P&PResultantView.png

EDIT:  Duh -- I forgot to attach the file after saying that I would do so.

Don Ireland

Message 5 of 14
Jeff_M

Don, you might check that the ProfileView Style settings in the MDC_TitleBlocks.dwt template are correct. 

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 6 of 14
doni49
in reply to: Jeff_M

Thanks.  I'll check that now.  I thoguht it was using the profile view settings from the active file so that's what I've been looking at.

Don Ireland

Message 7 of 14
doni49

I don't see anything in the Profile View styles to control the HEIGHT of the Profile View (it SHOULD be going from -10 to 40 but it IS going from 0 to 70).

Don Ireland

Message 8 of 14
Joe-Bouza

Your drawing settings scale = 40 and you are trying to make 20 scale vports. I took you drawing saved as the dwt, mached the scales and the profile views fit in the vport

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 14
doni49
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Thanks Joe.  I knew there was an issue with the scale but I didn't realize it was related to this problem.

I'll adjust for this and try again (hopefully) later today.

Don Ireland

Message 10 of 14
Joe-Bouza

Whats the verdict?

Your Name
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 11 of 14
doni49
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

I tinkered with the settings a little bit and that does seem to help.  I'll know more once the scale issue is fixed completely -- there's an issue in our template that I reported to my supervisor last week (he maintains the templates).  I just didn't realize this issue is (might be) related to that.

Don Ireland

Message 12 of 14
doni49

Ok.  The scale issue in our template has been addressed.  Yes that does seem to address the issue that I was dealing with.

I didn't realize the size of the profile view was determined by the scale of the viewport.  _ thought that was controlled when I choose another Profile View as an example.

That leaves me with one issue.  We like to have a minimum of one major grid line below and above the surface profile at all times -- if there's room, we'll show more than that.  But to do that, I have to run the P&P tool and then go back to the Profile Views that it created and turn off "Split View" and then change "User Height" FOR EACH PROFILE VIEW.  As long as the height stays the same (just the elevations change), they still fit in the viewports just fine.

Too bad there's not a setting "Minimum distance above/below profile to grid" or something like that.  But I guess that's a wishlist item.

Thanks for the assistance!

Don Ireland

Message 13 of 14
Joe-Bouza

Your Name

EESignature

Message 14 of 14
doni49

Thanks Joe. 😉 I knew I forgot something. .

Don Ireland

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report