Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P&P SSM workflow with SSM Custom Properties

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
jmayo-EE
483 Views, 11 Replies

P&P SSM workflow with SSM Custom Properties

What is th eproper workflow to get SSM Custom Properties to be recognized when I use the P&P tools to create the sheets? I see no way to link the dst file with the Custom Properties to the sheets that the P&P tools create.

I did setup a test sheet set with all of the custom props in fields and save it as a template.

John Mayo

EESignature

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Jeff_M
in reply to: jmayo-EE

When you use the Sheet Set wizard you can select an existing DST, this is where the link gets created. Your attributes/text with fields need to be setup in the block 'blind' (you won't have the custom properties to choose from). In this example, my SheetSet has a custom property of "Set Total Number". So when I create the field for the totl number of sheets I must type that into the property box exactly like it is defined in the SS.  Now when a sheet is created it will use the new DST's property to fill that field. I hope that makes sense. I have custom properties for the Address, City/State, Total # of Sheets, Acreage. 

SheetSet block Setup.png

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 12
jmayo-EE
in reply to: Jeff_M

I can get the custom props if I start SSM and use a dst template. The Plan Production tools don't let me choose the dst & I don't get the custom props if I create sheets with the PP tools...

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 4 of 12
jmayo-EE

In the attachment I show a new sheet created with the PP tools and the template that I created from the SSM with a dst.

No custom props. i'm thinking they get saved to the dst not the dwt....

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 5 of 12
jmayo-EE

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 6 of 12
Jeff_M

So you don't get this option?

6-26-2014 1-30-47 PM.png

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 7 of 12
Joe-Bouza

Create an empty SS selecting existing and choose the one you created all your custom fields>> PP yada yada >>add to existing Sheet set.

Like Jeff said if you dont create the customs exactly there will be a prob. I combat that by adding my PP template temporary to an existing SS with the customs and get them in the pop down.

Also, to be sure all your ssm field sould be defined in the "default" of the attribute def, not the "value"

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 12
jmayo-EE
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

OK. So I choose the add to sheet set option and I get the custom fields. All is good in that areana but now I am looking for the majical save as button for the sheet set....So now the workflow breaks down again since I do not want to save sheets from a bunch of projects to the template dst file.

I would hope there is a better way then having to open windows exploder and copy the dst to the project location or removing sheets and then subsets? If there is I can't find it.

....Thinkiing about how easy it is to cut sheets in revit.....

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 9 of 12
Joe-Bouza

This is what I have done:
I have on our server a prototypical folder that contains the folder structure, empty dwg files, excel templates, etc, and a blank sheet set. The blank has all the custom fields, yada yada in it. When a new job starts the user simply copies the proto folder to the project server, renames the folder and the sheet set, and they are off to the races.
Is this what you are looking for? This avoids the wizard setup for new jobs. Setup thoughtfully SSM recognizes relative path and can be quite portable.

Your Name
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 12
jmayo-EE

OK so you make the dst part of the project and have one dst per project. True? Do you have subsets in the SSM for different plan sets?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 11 of 12
Joe-Bouza

Sure you can; you can make it as ellaborate or simple as you like. For example taking advantage of relative paths you can create a whole plan set to start with and just add the data files.
Like I do typical road rehabs for a certain village that has a Cover, Index/notes, x number plan and profiles, details...that set up is the same every time. So I have a special proto folder specific for that village and when I get a new ... Plop it into the project server and I saved 2 hours of setup

Your Name

EESignature

Message 12 of 12
jmayo-EE

Thank you all!

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report