Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overlay and Widening Assembly Problems

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
1286 Views, 16 Replies

Overlay and Widening Assembly Problems

I am overlaying and widening an existing road, however the assembly is not behaving as I would like it too.  Any help would be appreciated.

Here is the cross section below, the widening, overlay and daylighting portions appear correct, how the Datum surface is off.

DATUM SURFACE - The datum surface is not following the existing ground in between the two road widening pavement portions.  You can see the datum surface as a red line connecting the two paved widenings below the existing crown of the road.  I would expect the datum surface to follow bottom links of the overlay as well up through the crown, but this is not the case.

Datum Surface.JPG

EARTHWORKS CUT/FILL SURFACE - The earthworks surface shows that the area between the existing crown and the unexpected datum link is being calculated cut/fill (cut presumably) which it shouldn't be.

CutFillSurface.JPG

ASSEMBLY BEING USED:  Perhaps I am misusing the subassemblies, or link codes need to be modified... any advice?

Assembly.JPG

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Anonymous

You're not going nuts it is a known issue with the rehab assemblies. Just when ya thought you had a tool to quantify T&L, right? Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous

got it working properly.  there was some data corruption somewhere.  a remnant of a deleted surface or something.  i deleted all the surfaces, purged, then recreated them.  seems to be functioning more in line with what i'd expect.  thank you!

Message 4 of 17
Joe-Bouza

Really? Good for you

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 17
fcernst

I still get the same defect in 2014 Hot Fix 1:

Please show your results.

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 6 of 17
sboon
in reply to: fcernst

There is a workaround for this issue, using two StrippingTopsoil subassemblies to build a portion of the Datum surface between the two widenings which flows across the existing roadway.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 7 of 17
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: sboon

Hi Steve

would you mind ellaborating on the use of stripping subs?

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 8 of 17
fcernst

When I add the Overlay link to the surface build along with the Datum link,  it builds the Datum surface under the Overlay portion between the EG sample points. 

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous

here is final, datum is following the bottom links.. 

Capture1.JPG

Message 10 of 17
Anonymous

And here is just the datum layer with existing ground. 

Capture2.JPG

Message 11 of 17
sboon
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Typically when I am using the widening subassemblies I want to sample the surface of the existing lanes to control the crossfall of the widening.  On a divided roadway with a median this means that the insert point for the start of widening is at the proposed line of sawcut in the existing asphalt, (shown below in cyan)  Often the sample point has to follow one of the lane lines to ensure that it is on the existing road, not on the median.  In the section view below I have temporarily changed the overlay depth values from 0 to 1m, so that you can see the extents of the widening subassemblies and how they relate to the plan view.  If I were to use the overlay links as part of the Datum surface I would still have a hole in the TIN between the sample point targets.

Clipboard01.png

My assembly has two StrippingTopsoil subs attached at the centerline.  The foreslopes and backslopes are set to zero, and the depths are minimal.  In the corridor the widths of these two subs are targeted to the same polylines as the insert point targets of the widening subs.  This creates a set of stripping links between the widenings.

Clipboard03.png

In the third picture I`ve reset the overlay depths back to zero and added the stripping links to the Datum surface.  It isn`t very obvious in this example but that surface follows the existing TIN all the way across the region between the two widenings.  I have a better example with a raised median, but it`s not accessible right now.

Clipboard02.png

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 12 of 17
Joe-Bouza

Very clever.Thanks for the info I'll have to give that a try

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 13 of 17
fcernst

This still has the Datum surface tracing the EG surface under the Overlay. I would like the Datum to just be L9 as in the coding diagram. The subassembly should stop there on its own and not continue to build Datum under the Overlay.

Given that it does not do that though, I wanted to add an Interactive boundary for either P2,P6,P4,P10 or P12. Frustratingly, they will not show themselves as corridor feasture lines.

So, I ended up using MarkedPoints:

Capture3.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 14 of 17
Joe-Bouza

I'm confused. wouldn't the datum line following EG be needed to quantify T&L?

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 15 of 17
fcernst
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Here's how those volumes look in Section now (red-cut, blue-fill, white-overlay):

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous

I find the issue i was having with the overlay widening match slope 1 assembly occurs when setting the overlay depth to zero. (perhaps i should be using a different sub assembly to begin with)  I suppose in this case there are no bottom links across the overlay portion for the datum to follow so it cuts accross to the next point.  Setting a value of .01' for the overlay depth makes the datum perform as expected, and i can just ignore the overlay material by not including it in any quantity take off reports.  but it appears that a cleaner solution is found by following some of the earlier posts.  I'm going to experiment with those as well.

Thank you!

Message 17 of 17
fcernst

You bet...however....

I ask that you take down your Solution tag immediately..

None of these are "Solutions",  they are convoluted Workarounds that cost your employer valuable time, revenue, and resources.

The Rehab subassemblies are seriously defective and have not been attended to for years by the software developer.

You can not be competitive while having to accommodate the Workarounds due to the software defects, and are also at personal risk of eventually being laid off because you will not be fast or accurate enough with your work for your company to be competitive.

Pressure needs to be kept on the Civil 3D team to immediately address these deficiencies in the Rehab subassemblies.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report