Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

osnaps turn themselves back on!

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
trynders
384 Views, 12 Replies

osnaps turn themselves back on!

Okay,

So my co-worker says everytime he opens up a drawing, all of his osnaps are on.  He turns them off and reopens the drawing, and they are back on.  Before I go down stairs to see what the problem is, I thought I'd ask all you.  Any thoughts?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
gccdaemon
in reply to: trynders

F3...lol. Why would he want to use CAD w/o snaps?

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
Message 3 of 13
jmayo-EE

There may be an OSNAP entry in the acaddoc.lsp file to set the variable in each file opened.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 4 of 13
mathewkol
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Or in the Startup Suite.

Or in the MNL file associated with a CUIx.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 5 of 13
BrianHailey
in reply to: gccdaemon

@gccdaemon wrote:

F3...lol. Why would he want to use CAD w/o snaps?

Personally, I despise running osnaps with a passion and I never use them. If I had a system that was constantly turning them back on, it would piss me off.

Now, with that said, I use snaps all the time and anyone using AutoCAD without snaps won't be using AutoCAD long, I just don't like the running osnaps.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 6 of 13
jmayo-EE
in reply to: mathewkol

Yes Matt. Thanks!

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 7 of 13
jmayo-EE

A PC is doing a lot of needless work running drawing aids not being used. 

I like them running for some tasks. 2d layout work I use end, mid, int. When I grade I leave only the endpoint osnap running but I never have them on all day. If I need a particluar snap not running I hit shift, right click and type the magic letter. I cycle osnaps, polar, otrack, dyn and quick props all day long everyday with the function keys or on the staus bar.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 8 of 13
rkmcswain
in reply to: BrianHailey

@BrianHailey wrote:

Personally, I despise running osnaps with a passion and I never use them. If I had a system that was constantly turning them back on, it would piss me off.

Now, with that said, I use snaps all the time and anyone using AutoCAD without snaps won't be using AutoCAD long, I just don't like the running osnaps.

Ditto Brian.

And before someone asks why..........

Try snapping to an endpoint, or near point, or node with running snaps enabled, and purposly miss the pick, you get a point anyway. When you use object snap as a command modifier and miss the pick, your pick fails and you don't get a bogus point. 

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 9 of 13
trynders
in reply to: rkmcswain

You guys are not helping me here.  I have two PC's here at my office which one is setting snap to like endpoint, intersection, parallel, node, etc.  It turns on about 6-7 of them.  It also is turning off the Autosnap marker.  The user will turn the snap marker back on and set osnap to just endpoint.  He will save the drawing and get right back into the drawing and the settings are like before.  Why is that?

Thanks,

T

Message 10 of 13
jmayo-EE

Did you check the things Matt and I asked you to check?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 11 of 13
mathewkol

I can't imagine them changing without help: I.e. Lisp or something. You haven't told us if you checked those 3 things listed above.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 12 of 13
gccdaemon
in reply to: mathewkol

I agree, it sounds like something is changing settings on drawing open, which you stated earlier on in the post. In the System tab under Options, try unchecking the "Load acad.lsp with every drawing" option. You might see it load with the default drawing that open, but you wouldn't see it when you manually open another drawing.

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram
Message 13 of 13
rkmcswain

On the machine where this is happening, paste in the following (include the parenthesis)

(findfile "acad.lsp")

(findfile "acaddoc.lsp")

Note the location of these files and go to that location and temporarily rename/move/delete them so AutoCAD cannot find them. Restart AutoCAD. Any difference?

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report