Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

osnap to symbols

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
djocwf54
614 Views, 9 Replies

osnap to symbols

I have found its a pain to label symbols or feature lines when I can't use osnap. Have you fixed this problem yet?

This is a very basic part of labeling and much needed!!

thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
_Hathaway
in reply to: djocwf54

I assume you are referring to the symbols that come in with the survey points.   Yes, I agree we should be able to snap to parts of the symbol as that is a very useful function on many levels.  I think it has been this way forever in Civil3d.  Having only used it for a year, I cannot be certain. 

Combine that request with the ability to snap to the point node by selecting and part of the point whether it's the symbol or text is also a much needed feature. 

Message 3 of 10
ccoles

I can only seem to use 'node' to snap to symbols, but cannot snap to the linework making the symbols.

However, I can use 'near' and 'end' snaps just fine with feature lines. Also 'perp', 'center' on arc segments, 'apparent intersect', and 'midpoint' all seem to work with feature lines. I use them all the time.

I don't use the survey tools at all. Do you mean you're having problems with the traverse lines?

Windows 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5610, Dual-Xeon 2.6Ghz, 16 Gig RAM
Civil 3D 2013
Message 4 of 10
djocwf54
in reply to: ccoles

I am struggling with not being able to label the fire hydrants that come in with the survey. I

prefer not to label it from the node.  It is easier to read if the arrowhead doesn't cover up the symbol. Being picky I know but I get to be ha ha    thanks and have a most awesome weekend

Message 5 of 10
_Hathaway

I believe what you need to do is toggle the 'Leader stops at marker' setting. I don't have much experience with that particular toggle but I believe that will move the leader off of the node. 

Message 6 of 10
OMCUSNR

Symbols, points or blocks?

Terminology is now becoming very important to how we do things in C3d.

"points" can now be many different things, including acad points, aecc points (the old LDD/adsk stuff), and blocks that are made up of many different entities.  In order to know EXACTLY where your "point" (the point STYLE set representing the node) OSNAP only allows snapping to that node, not any part of the symbol or block that represents the point in space that the surveyor shot, or the engineer set.

Now, the point STYLE is what controls what the "point" looks like and that style controls other aspects of how we relate to it.  You can mask around the style, and attach other things (like a LABEL) to it in several different locations defined by a box around the STYLE. 

Label STYLES have their own set of rules and attachment points to them.  They can have masks, can be offset different values away from their attachment point, can be rotated or dragged, can have different heights, weights and text styles associated with them.

And, if that were not enough, COGO points are slightly different from SURVEY points.

Understanding and being comfortable with STYLES is the biggest chalenge with C3d, but they are powerful tools in plan production.

Reid

Homebuilt box: I5-2500k, MSI P67A-GD65, 12gig DDR3 1600 ram, ASUS ENGTX460 Video card, WD Velociraptor WD4500HLHX HD, Win 7 64 pro.
Message 7 of 10
djocwf54
in reply to: OMCUSNR

I am talking about when a fire hydrant comes in the drawing with a survey point and I want to label it with a note existing fire hydrant it would be nice to label it at the edge rather than just at the node. Am I hearing this is not possible.. have patience with me haven't had civil 3d more than 4 months

Message 8 of 10
OMCUSNR

Thats part of the new power of C3d - now, the "point" is (can be) the fire hydrant, not a sdsk or aecc point node with a fire hydrant block inserted after the fact.  So, when you snap to it, you get the node as the true location of the "point".

Now, you'll need to really dig into the Styles tutorials to help you understand this, but, around the symbol that represents the point (a tree, WV, FHYD, anything) is an invisible box with 9 attachment points on it - top left, middle left, bottom left, bottom middle, bottom right, etc) that allows you to attach a LABEL style to that.  The label style also has attachment points & offsetss that allow it to define where it's attached to the point style.

If you want to label something without using the point label style, say a block or a pline, there are other LABEL STYLES, and annotative text that can be used.  The old MLEADER command still works and the new styles have dragged & rotated states that need to be explored too.

It took me awhile to learn some of the new terminology to start asking questions that made sense to me and others.  Have you had a training class?  If not, as much as I hate to say it, it will be the most cost effective way to retain your sanity, and productivity.

Reid

Homebuilt box: I5-2500k, MSI P67A-GD65, 12gig DDR3 1600 ram, ASUS ENGTX460 Video card, WD Velociraptor WD4500HLHX HD, Win 7 64 pro.
Message 9 of 10
wfberry

You can redefine the fire hydrant (block) with the FH offset from the node.  Hot having the node exactly on the hydrant should not be a problem.  Just a thought.

Bill

Message 10 of 10
Sinc
in reply to: _Hathaway

BTW, the setting Mike mentioned can only be found on the "Summary" tab, in the "Marker" section.  For some unknown reason, it's the only setting that's missing from the actual "Marker" tab, and can only be accessed from the "Summary" tab.

PointMarker.png

Sinc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report