Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Orientation

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
abletobuy
308 Views, 9 Replies

Orientation

I know this is a really stupid question, but I cannot figure-it-out as I "transition" from AutoCAD 2000 to AutoCAD Civil 3D 2015.  I am drawing a boundary survey, and I have rotated my points to make the drawing fit an 11" x 17" page better.  Now, I need to "reorientate" the drawing so my bearings are (still) correct. In my old AutoCAD 2000, I could select 2 points and "assign" it a specific bearing.  For the life of me, I cannot figure-out how to do that in Civil 3D 2015.  Would someone please enlighten me?  Thank you, in advance.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Jeff_M
in reply to: abletobuy

You must have north straight up. No more bpnr (base point north rotation). Use viewport rotation or d view twist to get the survey to fit on the sheet.
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 10
abletobuy

Thank you very much for the answer/response.  That is a killer!  When I had a northeast-southwest oriented, rectangular tract, for example, I would rotate it to east-west to make it fit on an 11" x 17" landscape plot.  Then, I would select one of the lines and "reassign" it the actual grid or recorded or whatever bearing.  It was super easy!  Now when I rotate my points and drawing (just using "rotate"), the bearings update with a near bearing.  I will look-up what you recommended and see if I can make-it-work.  Again, thank you.

Message 4 of 10
Joe-Bouza

It's called world. Change your View orientation not the world. As Jeff stated

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
abletobuy
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Got it . . . I think and hope . . . I'm one of "those people," too, who have P.E., P.L.S. and CFedS after my name . . . I am trying to go from using my old rotary-dial party line phones to an iPad . . . by going from AutoCAD Land Development Desktop 2000 to Civil 3D 2015 . . . I'll get there! . . . I will try to figure-out how to change my view orientation.  Thank you both!  Stay with me! 🙂

Message 6 of 10
Joe-Bouza

Heh heh...

At least 50% maybe a lot more ( i be afraid to say 90%) came from LDT and made it through the ring of fire. I left LDT in 2007 cold turkey, not recommended but thanks  to folks like Jeff and lots of questions I got more comfortable with it. Probably more than I was with LDT.

Your Name
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
abletobuy
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Ok.  Thanks.  Admittedly, I still do not know exactly how to do it . . . i.e., do it meaning draw my 50-acre tract, then use viewport to move it around (while keeping the labeled bearings correct) to best fit the white space and scale of my paper. It sounds like it would be easier; I just gotta get there!!

Message 8 of 10
Jeff_M

able,

here is a short, 2 minute, video showing both methods. First up is Dview Twistin Layout1, then rotate the viewport on a second layout. You can use Dview Twist in model space, if desired. I prefer to keep model space in World orienation.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 9 of 10
abletobuy
in reply to: Jeff_M

Awesome, Jeff.  I have not tried it, yet, but have watched your video three times.  I KNOW I'll really "love" 2015 Civil 3D when I get the hang of it, but boy it is rough making the switch from 2000.  I've got to walk before I run and run before I sprint.  Thank you for taking the time to make the video clip for me.  I may have a follow-up, but I want to work with what you sent first.  Again, thank you.  Scott Phillips

Message 10 of 10
Joe-Bouza

See I told you. Its all going to work out

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report