Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Options > File Paths

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
neilyj666
411 Views, 9 Replies

Options > File Paths

Is there a quick way e.g. export Registry Key etc to transfer the files and paths specified in Options?

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
tcorey
in reply to: neilyj666

In options, Profiles tab, Export creates an ARG file that includes all those file settings.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 10
rkmcswain

In the registry editor, go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\Rxx.x\ACAD-xxxx:xxx\Profiles\<<your_profilee>>\General

then look for ACAD on the right side.

Exporting the profile to an ARG file will contain much more than just the paths. You may or may not want that.

If this is a regular occurance, there are better ways to do this also.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 4 of 10
neilyj666

which other ways?

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
neilyj666

...also what is included in the ARG file?

EESignature

Message 6 of 10
rkmcswain

@neilyj666 wrote:
...also what is included in the ARG file?

Essentially everything under the Reg Key above, plus the contents of the Profile.aws file (stored in %userprofile%\Application Data\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2013 - English\R19.0\enu\Support\Profiles\Unnamed Profile), or something close to that depending on the OS and AutoCAD version.

If you export the ARG file, you can open it in Notepad and view it. It's really just a windows .REG file.

You could even strip out sections that you do not want to reimport.

Message 7 of 10
rkmcswain

@neilyj666 wrote:
which other ways?

In my multi-user office environment, I don't mess with profiles at all. I use the startup files to set what we need set each time AutoCAD starts (such as support paths, and other variables). Users can still set their own preferences such as background color, etc., but things like the paths, autosave time, whether or not BAK files are created, etc. are set by the company.

If a change is needed I can edit one file and all users get the change the next time AutoCAD starts.

Here is a starter on setting support paths this way: http://cadpanacea.com/node/52

Message 8 of 10
neilyj666
in reply to: rkmcswain

Thanks for the replies - I'l start a ittle bit of exploring to find the best method for meSmiley Happy

EESignature

Message 9 of 10
ishkav

I use profiles and they work well. In my customization endeavor I used AU material and specific this one: http://au.autodesk.com/?nd=material&session_material_id=6085

It actually gives  avery good overview of what can be done. And in a corporate environment that most likely is windows based you can deploy any changes by group policies.

Ishka
CAD Manager
Tom Groll Engineering
Email: ishka@tg-eng.com
Blog: http://www.civildigest.com, Twitter: C3Dish
Windows 7 x64, IDS 2014, 2013 & C3D 2012
Intel i7 930 @ 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 9600GT

Message 10 of 10
Lisa_Pohlmeyer

Neil,

When I'm setting up a new deployment, I create a "generic" profile that has all the support file paths included.  I then export that profile to the network and bring it in for the next setup. I only have to modify one path for that particular user.  All the other paths we use on the network are the same. The user is then free to tweak the profile settings to their taste, then export it to their C3D user folder, for when they need to reimport it later.

HTH

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report