Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One master description key

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
MaryBell1
1245 Views, 21 Replies

One master description key

I need one desc key that will update in all drawings. I am just getting started and I have a drawing template where for the most part I keep the desc key updated. I am just starting a new project and will make revisions and additions as I go to the desc key. If I make the change in my working drawing it doesn't update 'universally' just in that one drawing. Is there a way to have one 'master' that updates as you go? I have tried to drag and drop to keep one or the other up to date but that doesn't work. Also, there will eventually be 2 additional users so how will that work if we all can't use the same master description key?

21 REPLIES 21
Message 21 of 22
kbiggs
in reply to: Pointdump

Dave:

I have setup our description keys and survey point marker styles so that when  I select the survey point in the drawing after import, I know exactly what layer it is on. I use the point groups to manage the label display type only. I use the layer manager to manage the display of the point layers and label text layers, I do not use point groups to manage the display of the survey points. I know you can set point groups to no display, however, we use xref's to manage our survey base plans, and some designers will want to review specific survey layers, which they cannot do with point groups. I feel it is best managed by layers. As always with Autodesk products, there is more than one way to accomplish the same thing, just depends on your office workflow.

I having been using this system for 3 years for our entire company, many offices and users, and it works well, at least for us.

Keith Biggs
Chair, CAD Standards Committee & Senior CAD Technician

R.F. Binnie & Associates Ltd.
Leading in Quality: OQM certified March 2013.

Message 22 of 22
MaryBell1
in reply to: kbiggs

Thanks... I will give that more thought.  It sounds like a good option!   

●☆★☆★●

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report