AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

*Expert Elite*
Pointdump
Message 11 of 22 (682 Views)

Re: One master description key

12-24-2013 06:43 AM in reply to: engrtech

engrtech,

A Description Key may place points on a particular layer, but the Point Style and Label Style confuse the issue of exactly what layer the point is on. I'm not the brightest pixel on the screen, but I found the only way to truly know what layer a point is on is to use Point Groups.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Mohave Valley, Arizona

Intel Core i7-3820QM 3rd Generation Quad Core 2.7 GHZ CPU
16 GB DDR3 RAM ( 2 DIMM ) / 180 GB SSD
Nvidia GeForce 650M Graphics w/2 GB Memory
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit / AutoCAD Civil 3D 2014/2015
Distinguished Mentor
rl_jackson
Message 12 of 22 (678 Views)

12-24-2013 07:03 AM in reply to: Pointdump

It's all about how the style and key are set up.

I use what I would call By Block method. Everything goes to 0 in the style and the key controls the layer the object resides on.

Since I do survey only drawing, I almost never freeze a label without freezing the symbol - it's quick and dirty. If someone else needs my drawing they can deal with it with there template.

C3D12-13
Win7x64 6gb
Valued Mentor
KirkNoonan
Message 13 of 22 (676 Views)

12-24-2013 07:06 AM in reply to: Pointdump

Our surveyors have over 100 point styles. We would be completely lost without descriptor keys. If the layers, descriptor keys, labels and point styles are set up properly and used consistently, there shouldn't be any question about what point or label is on which layer. The point groups for us are more like a container to put several similar points into (water appurtenances, trees, topographic features, etc.)

The engineering side of things uses points instead of blocks for grading and layout of utilities. That saves the step of having to calc a lot of stakeout.

*Expert Elite*
Pointdump
Message 14 of 22 (667 Views)

12-24-2013 07:48 AM in reply to: KirkNoonan

Kirk,

"If the layers, descriptor keys, labels and point styles are set up properly and used consistently, there shouldn't be any question about what point or label is on which layer."

That, sir, presupposes a lot of understanding about how those disparate objects collide with one another, let alone how groups, command defaults and child styles complicate the matter of what layer a point is really on. An understanding I have not been able, in three years of thoughtful study, to fully grasp. I think I read Sinc's White Paper on the topic of Point Styles and Layers at least twenty times, and I came away as confused as ever.

Using Point Groups, I can tell you exactly what layer any point or its label is on. Using Description Keys, I cannot.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Mohave Valley, Arizona

Intel Core i7-3820QM 3rd Generation Quad Core 2.7 GHZ CPU
16 GB DDR3 RAM ( 2 DIMM ) / 180 GB SSD
Nvidia GeForce 650M Graphics w/2 GB Memory
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit / AutoCAD Civil 3D 2014/2015
Valued Mentor
KirkNoonan
Message 15 of 22 (660 Views)

12-24-2013 08:10 AM in reply to: Pointdump
My point exactly; if the pieces are all put together properly, they don't collide.
The point group shows what layer it's points are on as does the properties window. But that is not necessary when I know that the existing fire hydrant point that I'm looking at is on the existing fire hydrant layer. For me, it is easier to manage 110 different descriptor keys (that the average user doesn't mess with) than it would be to manage 110 different point groups.
*Expert Elite*
rkmcswain
Message 16 of 22 (652 Views)

12-24-2013 08:28 AM in reply to: Pointdump

Pointdump wrote:

rl,

How many point styles do you need? Only surveyors use points. Engineers use lines, arcs, and polylines.

With all due respect, where did you come up with that?

We (on the engineering/design side) process the survey data and use description keys quite successfully.

We also use Desc Keys for what you might call "proposed" points (borehole locations, property corners, etc.)

IOW - we use Cogo Points daily.

Regarding whether or not Desc Keys are the only way to go - I'm not saying that, but it's silly to say the opposite too, IMO.

Valued Mentor
IanMcClain
Message 17 of 22 (624 Views)

12-24-2013 12:59 PM in reply to: MaryBell1

Put your description key in a dwt template drawing available on a shared/networked location and start all new drawings with that template. If you have older drawings that need the updated key you can always open the template and drag & drop it in, as it sounds like you are doing now. The description key is stored in the drawing so the "master" key is what is in your template.

I would recommend taking some time to build a complete description key for this purpose so as to minimize the need to update as you go.

-Ian McClain
(running C3D 2012 sp4, Win7 64bit, 8GB)
Active Contributor
MaryBell1
Message 18 of 22 (565 Views)

01-07-2014 04:56 PM in reply to: IanMcClain

I need to clarify.... I have just transitioned to C3D 2014 and I am building desc key for the first time. I have a template where I did the majority of my building. Now I'm ready to start my project, as I'm going through I'm testing my symbols, linework (desc key) etc. and was jumping back and forth from my project to my template to keep it updated and modified, well that got really annoying so I just updating in the project because I kept hearing you can drag and drop styles and the desckey. I have not been successful yet in doing that. So can you please be more specific about dragging and dropping. I pick the desckey from the toolspace window and drag it over to my second monitor where i have my template drawing open. It gives me a circle w/slash symbol. I am obviously dropping in the wrong spot. I think I would much rather set a path in options.

Valued Mentor
IanMcClain
Message 19 of 22 (561 Views)

01-07-2014 05:04 PM in reply to: MaryBell1

Try this:

Open the working dwg and the template in one session of CAD.

In the toolspace window, settings tab change the view at the top to "Master View" if it isn't already.

Then find desc key in the working dwg, click and drag it up or down to the template name and hover over the name.

The circle-slash should change to a pick arrow with a dashed box below it, then it is ok to release and select "overwrite" when prompted.

-Ian McClain
(running C3D 2012 sp4, Win7 64bit, 8GB)
Active Contributor
MaryBell1
Message 20 of 22 (542 Views)

01-08-2014 09:06 AM in reply to: IanMcClain

IAN! Thank you so much.... it took some doing but it worked. That just made my day!!!   :womanvery-happy:

too bad the autodesk help menu couldn't just explain it that way!

Mary

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Are You Going To Be @ AU 2014? Feel free to drop by our AU topic post and share your plans, plug a class that you're teaching, or simply check out who else from the community might be in attendance. Ohh and don't forgot to stop by the Autodesk Help | Learn | Collaborate booths in the Exhibit Hall and meet our community team if you get a chance!