Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ohio State Kit file size issues

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
bsmart
429 Views, 10 Replies

Ohio State Kit file size issues

I am trying to work with the Ohio DOT (Imperial)_2014.dwt template file, however the drawing file starts at 15MB in size and is impossible to work with.  I use this for survey basemapping only and don't need all of the plan level details.  Does anyone know what to delete to reduce the file size?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Pointdump
in reply to: bsmart

B,

Can you hit us with a link, or post the template with DropBox?

When you say "impossible to work with", is it just slow, or does it crash? What is it in that template that you need? Styles? Fonts? Those can be imported into your own template.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 11
AllenJessup

You can  also try purging styles from any drawing created from their Template and importing any you might need as you find you need them.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 11
bsmart
in reply to: Pointdump

The file can be found at https://www.dropbox.com/s/iue08gpwivccsrh/Ohio%20DOT%20%28Imperial%29_2014.dwt?dl=0

It is 15 MB and the "impossible to work with" means that there is a major delay (10-30 seconds) any time I try to change the view, or perform any commands.

I have tried to purge many items.  Between blocks that I thought I could get rid of, linetypes, styles, etc. I was only able to reduce the file size by about 1 MB.  I'm just not sure what else I can purge.

In my research I found a suggestion to change the "Visual Effects" performance of my computer.  I have it set to best performance and it seems to work better.  Perhaps it is more of a machine issue.  Do others regularly work with civil 3d files that large?  It doesn't seem to make sense that EVERY drawing that I do in the DOT format should be that big.

Brian

Message 5 of 11
Pointdump

B,

That's a monster of a Template! Block Symbols for Markers and Layers beyond counting. And what "Pay Items" would you need?

Ohio.png

It might be easiest to use your own template and import anything you need.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 6 of 11
bsmart
in reply to: Pointdump

Ok, good, I'm not crazy!

I want to produce survey drawings/basemaps that meet the ODOT guidelines, however I am not a Civil 3D expert to know how to ensure all styles and blocks that I would need are included if I were to try to make my own.  I know enough to muddle around and that's it.  How did you get to the window that you gave a screen shot of?

Message 7 of 11
AllenJessup

The only drawings I work with that are that big are some corridor models. I agree with Dave. Start with your own Template or an OOTB one and import only those styles you need.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 11
bsmart
in reply to: AllenJessup

Thank you both for the input.  Can either of you tell what the main cause is of the size?

Message 9 of 11
Pointdump

B,

The "Pay item not found" dialogue box came up when I opened the template.

There aren't any special Page Layouts, so probably the only things you might need are the Text Styles, a few of the Point Styles and Blocks, and any layers needed to comply with layer naming standards. As far as which ones to import, well, if you find a "Carpenters Nail", use this Point Style:

Ohio3.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 10 of 11
rl_jackson

That template is huge - seems sort of surreal in light of my 1.5mb template I use on a daily basis.

Hey but it looks like that thought about just about every situation under the sun.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Message 11 of 11
Pointdump

B,

"Can either of you tell what the main cause is of the size?"

10 pounds of stuff in a 5 pound drawing.  

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report