Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offset labels have incorrect values

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
SheriLM
1731 Views, 17 Replies

Offset labels have incorrect values

I created a project with separate profiles for storm and sanitary pipes. The storm profile was created using the road alignment. The sanitary profile was created using the sanitary alignment. The same label styles were used in both profiles for sanitary and storm pipes and structures. Labels contain a stating along their respective alignments and also a street station and offset. For the sanitary line all the values are correct but for the storm structures stationing and offsets along the street are incorrect and inconsistent. 

When I use the storm line in place of the road alignment I get an offset value. 

First two attachments are from the storm profiles. Third is from the sanitary profile. According to the inquiry tool the correct stationing should be 16+17.04, 2.64' RT. The labels are the same style and they are referencing the same alignments. 

Any help is appreciated! 

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
tcorey
in reply to: SheriLM

When you label in a profile view, the stationing is in reference to that profile view, without regard to the reference alignment of the network being labeled.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 18
SheriLM
in reply to: tcorey

The labels are not added as a profile view label. They are added as a label attached directly to the structure. 

Message 4 of 18
kcobabe

By chance what alignment do your structures read to?  If they are reading to the incorrect alignment that is going to be your problem.

If not reply back and I can see if I can help you find the problem.

R10 - 2020 ACAD
2008 - 2020 Civil 3D
2014 - 2020 Plant 3D
2014 - 2020 Revit
V8i - V8i SS4 Microstation
Infraworks
2018-2020 Inventor
2020 Navisworks
Message 5 of 18
SheriLM

I have tried both ways:

Referencing the storm alignment in the structure dialog box and the street alignment in the properties box>reference text objects.

Gives correct storm and street stationing but the street offset is 0.00'.

And

Referencing the street alignment in the structure dialog box and the storm alignment in the properties box>reference text objects.

Gives correct street alignment but the street offset is wrong and the storm alignment is wrong. 

I have double and triple checked to make sure they are reading to the correct alignments and my co-worker has done the same. This is happening in multiple projects. 

Message 6 of 18
Jeff_M

Can you post your drawing?
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 7 of 18
SheriLM
in reply to: Jeff_M

Message 8 of 18
Jeff_M

Sheri, I think that Tim's response is the answer. While the Structure's reference alignment station/offset are good, this is due to the actual structure data being used. However, the Refence Text for an alignment as added to a label style uses the location of the label to determine the station/offset, not the location of the structure.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 9 of 18
kcobabe

In your label try revising your label to where the structures station and offset information is recieved from the Tract A alignment.  The the centerlines of your utility can be the referenced alingment.  I was able to fix the issue by doing this.

I do not know why the referenced text is not reading to the alignment you are referencing though.  This should work the way you are intending it to.  Maybe send Autodesk an email telling them the offset and offset side values are errored and do not reference the alignment that was chosen.

R10 - 2020 ACAD
2008 - 2020 Civil 3D
2014 - 2020 Plant 3D
2014 - 2020 Revit
V8i - V8i SS4 Microstation
Infraworks
2018-2020 Inventor
2020 Navisworks
Message 10 of 18
sca24580
in reply to: kcobabe

Following your advice above, I'm encountering two problems. 1) The offset distance shown in the label does not equal the distance measured from one alignment to a point perpendicular on the other. 2) The structure offset side portion of my label is reversed. Instead of showing "R" for right, it is showing "L" for left. Any suggestions? Is there a way to reverse these?

FYI: My label works perfectly in plan view. It's the profile view that will not cooperate. 

Message 11 of 18
fred
in reply to: sca24580

Has there been a solution for this issue?  I've searched but have yet to find one.  My issue appears to be similar.

I have manholes at intersections shown in multiple profile views. The structures use the same label style that includes two reference text lines. The reference text lines are for calling out an equality for the structure as it relates to both alignments.  The reference text on each line of the label is referenced to the correct alignment.  Sometimes the reference text labels the station incorrectly by a matter of 5' to 20'.  Other times one is correct and one is incorrect.  While other times both are correct. 

Any solution welcome, some solutions may be more welcome than others 😉

Regards,

Fred

Message 12 of 18
annw2
in reply to: tcorey

That's not how I've seen it work.  The parcel labels reference the aligment assigned to the structure.

Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 13 of 18
fred
in reply to: annw2

I reckon I'm still beta testing for autodesk.  Arg! 

solutions?  anyone? 

Message 14 of 18
sca24580
in reply to: fred

Fred, I was having issues with labeling structure offsets back in December. I posted the solution I came up with at the link below though I'm not sure this is exactly the issue you are having.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-general/labeling-structure-offset-in-profile-view/m-p...

Message 15 of 18
fred

Thanks!  I read your post you linked to.  Did the method you describe allow you to set an equality on the structure in the intersection?

Message 16 of 18
sca24580

I'm not familiar with the term, "setting an equality", could you elaborate?

Message 17 of 18
fred

By "setting an equality" I mean at a point where alignments "A" and "B" junction, for example, the equality for that point may be "station 36+27.52 alignment A = station 10+00 alignment B"

Message 18 of 18
sca24580

That isn't something I have explored. I usually show the subject alignment in plan view, above the profile view on the page, and label the intersection stationing in plan view.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report