Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offset FG in profile to represent pipe at constant cover

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Westhills
843 Views, 8 Replies

Offset FG in profile to represent pipe at constant cover

I know it  can be done usign Pipe networks and feature lines and a massive waste of time.. But I just want ot offset my FG to show a line constant offset. Can this be done? If so how?

Win 7 64bit
16 Gigs Ram
Intel i7 870
Quadro fx1800
C3D 2011/2012
ASUS Custom
Dual 24 Phillips screens
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Westhills

piece-of-cake: copy fg layout profile >> lower to top of pipe>> copy >> lower to invert.

you can do the same if it is a surface profile. (make static first)

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
toyhonda86

Copy your FG profile.  Change the copied profile to Static in the properties, then you can raise or lower that profile.

Adam

Windows 7 x 64
NVIDIA Quadro K2200
16 GB Ram
Intel Core i7-6700 @ 3.40 GHz
Civil 3D 2017
Message 4 of 9
toyhonda86
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Sorry Joe, must have been typing while yours submitted.

Adam

Windows 7 x 64
NVIDIA Quadro K2200
16 GB Ram
Intel Core i7-6700 @ 3.40 GHz
Civil 3D 2017
Message 5 of 9
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: toyhonda86

Great minds ...Smiley Wink

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
Westhills

Too easy. Thanks!

Only other thing was in doing that it created a copy of the alignment etc which I then had to delete.

Win 7 64bit
16 Gigs Ram
Intel i7 870
Quadro fx1800
C3D 2011/2012
ASUS Custom
Dual 24 Phillips screens
Message 7 of 9
Jeff_M

@Westhills wrote:

Too easy. Thanks!

Only other thing was in doing that it created a copy of the alignment etc which I then had to delete.

If you use the "CopyProfile" command in the Profile geometry editor toolbar you wouldn't (or shouldn't anyway) see this problem.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 8 of 9
wsucoug

Resurrecting an old thread.

When you copy down a profile, it’s not a true 'offset' profile. This is defiantly noticeable on steeper grades. An 8" DI pipe @ a 35% grade copied down 0.75' will yield a vertical distance of 0.75', but is only 0.71' perpendicular. The perpendicular distance is how the pipe actually lays when it is installed.  Have you guys just been ignoring the difference? Often a person wants  to know how deep they need to dig when installing so they will measure off the bottom of pipe profile to EG. Anyone have any problems with this in practice. Better yet does anyone have a solution to create a dynamic offset profile? 

Message 9 of 9
wfberry
in reply to: wsucoug

Well I assure you it is not defiantly but perhaps definitely.  Anyway, where I come from when we are down in the trenches we normally use the "TIMEX" method.   The "Rolex" method must be used elsewhere.  We set grades with conventional leveling instruments that measure elevations vertically.

Bill

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report