Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offset Alignment Smoothing

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
EstesR
1883 Views, 7 Replies

Offset Alignment Smoothing

I have a couple of offset alignments that have widenings and automatic widenings added.  The road has multiple horizontal curves and in the transition areas the offset alignment draws in angle points along curves instead of drawing in a curve or a straight line.  Is there anyway to smooth out the line?  See attached.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
db_17
in reply to: EstesR

I was wondering if this issue was ever resolved. I think i have the same issue, even when using the curve-line-curve transition type. I have a ditch that spirals around a hill and changes depth.  my best approach was using the offset alignment to change that width of the daylight (therefore changing the depth of the ditch) but obviously cannot it the offset transtion does not maintain the curve from the centerline.  I need to do this to drain to inlets accross a couple of miles. I basically need the offset alignment for the LinkWidthAndSlope assembly to go in and out as it approaches high points vs inlets

Any help from anyone would be appreciated. Even if someone tells me it cant be done so I can move on.

Thanks,

Message 3 of 8
mathewkol

It's not an "issue", it's a setting that you've missed. It's very important that you're uaing 2011 or later.

Settings, Corridor, (I can't remember if it's right here or under command settings).

Something about linear transitions. You set how many segments get placed in this situation. There is never a curve drawn here, it's a bunch of straight segments.

This has to be set BEFORE you do your offset. You'll have to erase your offset alignment and make a new one.

Sorry I couldn't be more detailed about where to find the setting, I'm not at a computer now.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 4 of 8
mathewkol

Also, the transition type has to be linear.
Matt Kolberg
Message 5 of 8
db_17
in reply to: mathewkol

Thanks Matt,

Unfortunately I have 2010 Smiley Sad per client request. This helps though. Just by out of curiousity, does that setting allow you to distinguish the number of segments offset from lines vs curves? no immediate reply is necessary.

Message 6 of 8
mathewkol

No distinction. Just one setting.
Matt Kolberg
Message 7 of 8
EstesR
in reply to: mathewkol

Thanks for responding Matt.  I'm trying to recreate the alignments but I can't find that setting you are talking about.  I want to create an offset alignment and then add widenings.  Where would I find that settings and would I have to set them prior to creating the offset alignment?

Message 8 of 8
eladkcem

See attached. It took some pokin' around but I found the setting...

Settings -> Alignment -> Commands -> Add Widening -> Linear Transitions Around Curves

I think the default is 2. I'm using 50 for now to see how it'll work for my channels.

-d

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report