Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offset Alignment Not updating

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
neilyj666
3623 Views, 16 Replies

Offset Alignment Not updating

I opened up and existing draing with alignments and offset alignments to make some edits but when I edit the main alignment the offset alignments do not update dynamically. The only way I can update them is go into properties, make them static and Apply , then make then dynamic and Apply.

Any one come across this or got any suggestions as it's a right PITA doing this for every edit......Smiley Mad

Alignupdate.jpg

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2025 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Willy_Campbell
in reply to: neilyj666

Hi Neal,

What version of Civil 3D are you having this issue with? Any Service Packs installed? Do you have other Alignment Offset drawings where this is a problem? Meaning is this common, or only seems to be this one drawing?

Willy Campbell
Message 3 of 17
neilyj666
in reply to: Willy_Campbell

It's in 2015 SP1 but it only seems to be this particular drawing that is affected (I have tried a new dwg from template and offset alignment works as expected)

I would normally have just deleted the offset alignment and recreated but it had a lot of widenings etc which I didn't want to have to recreate so I have just applied my Static/Dynamic workaround as this particular project is just about completed.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2025 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 4 of 17
ceethreedee.com

2016 SP2.

Got a drawing with the same problem. Annoying has hell ideas.

Civil 3D 2025 / Infraworks 2025
Win 10 -DELL Precision Notebook 7680

Want FREE TOOLS! Come get my free tools for civil 3d at website below!
https://ceethreedee.com/ceethreedee-tools
Message 5 of 17
doni49
in reply to: ceethreedee.com

@ceethreedee.com wrote:

2016 SP2.

Got a drawing with the same problem. Annoying has hell ideas.

It appears to have something to do with the design criteria-- although I'm not sure what that something is.

After I opened your file, I was getting messages about "unable to locate design criteria file" whenever I tried opening the alignment properties.  Then I changed two of the mainline alignments via gripedit (MC21 and MC22).  The offset that is a child of MC21 updated fine.  When I gripedited MC22, the child DID NOT update. 

Then I re-opend the file (without any changes) and changed the child to Static.  I was greeted with the following message.

C3DDesignCriteria.png

I pressed ok and then changed it back to dynamic again.  Now that the child is dynamic again, it DOES update when I gripedit MC22.

Here's what it looks like after I grip edit MC22.

C3DDesignCriteria2.png

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: doni49

I am having this issue as well in Civil 3D 2017.  Just started happening out of the blue. Don't get the criteria dialog box either.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot.

-Seth Cohen

Message 7 of 17
Joe-Bouza

I can confirm that, and worse; if I have transitions in the offsets they are lost upon cl revisions

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Hi Joe,

Thanks so much for responding!  Yes, very frustrating, especially when your showing your boss the alignment for him to check, and he says, that transition looks off :-).

Thanks.

- Seth Cohen

Message 9 of 17
dougnorton
in reply to: Anonymous

Not just frustrating, this completely fails the whole reason for using offset alignments.

Doing the Static + apply Dynamic + apply catches them up to the original alignment, but they basically stay static.

When I adjust the alignment again, have to go through that routine all over for each offset. Aaaaarrrrgh

I've created a new drawing, and they work great, just like they're supposed to.

C3D 2016 service pack 1. Heartwarming to know it's doing this for no reason in 2017 as well.

I sound like a ranter.

Looking forward to ( hoping for ) a solution.

Thanks for letting me vent

Doug

Message 10 of 17
4thespirit
in reply to: dougnorton

Having the same issue myself....very frustrating....is there any answer out there on this yet..?   Looks like another old thread with no resolution.....  grr.

Message 11 of 17
mjung

Frustrating to see that this issue is still happening in Civil 3D 2020......

Civil 3D 2024 / Windows 11 Pro (64bit)
Intel Core I7 @3.30GHz / 32gig RAM / NVIDIA Quadro K2200
Message 12 of 17
freeziepop2018

Same issue still occurring in 2021...this would save so much time if I weren't constantly having to troubleshoot why it randomly doesn't want to work...

Message 13 of 17
kiribQXRVK

Same thing in C3D 2022. Altough I use referenced alignments as centerline but still have to manually click to static and back to dynamic to update the offset alignments.

Message 14 of 17
Nick_Antonov

Same on C3D 20233,drawing started on C3D 2020 worked on 2022(I am not sure when the links "broke"

Not just the alignments but linked profiles are not updating.

offset Alignment/profile Properties trough Prospector tab, shows the "linked Parent" alignment and profile, All Dynamic Linked (as supposed to be) but they don't follow the parents..

I wish there is a fix, to "RELINK" to parents, because to recreate all site with quite a few intersecting roads, and then surfaces that are linked into other models is quite a work.

The strange thing is that I tried deleting the offset alignments on one of the existing road, Then keeping the parent alignment I created new offset alignments with linked Offset Profiles in the profile view .

And they draw well but are not linked.. They don't update if I change parents..

Then I created New (test) alignment from start, Created Profile, then Offset alignment and linked profiles, and the result is the same. No matter shows as Dynamic, They don't update if I change the parent alignment or Parent profile.

By the way, I did Purge and Audit the drawings(Audit reported no errors) .

But there has to be something wrong with the drawing..

Message 15 of 17
Nick_Antonov
in reply to: Nick_Antonov

After my previous posting about my problem and try that did not work, I tried following a suggestions from Autodesk Knowledge base:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/civil-3d/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Offse...

First suggestion to Insert the "damaged" drawing into new blank template, did not work, It crushes during the process  with Fatal Error message. I tried at least 5 times.

Then I tried second (alternative) suggestion using WBLOCK command from the damaged drawing, and on Select objects I used Ctrl+A( for select all) so I selected all objects even hidden or layers off, including surfaces that are not displayed,

*** Note If you use select cross window I am not sure if will bring all objects across..

And Using WBLOCK command WORKED...Voala..

It brought all surfaces of different roads and linked Ground surface.

All corridors, alignments, sites, profiles, Everything I can think of except the Fault of the original drawing.

And the Offset alignments and linked profiles are working now. So I don't have to redo everything.

I still  need to check that everything is fine , But so far looks good!

Please Comment if this worked for you too!!

Message 16 of 17
mjung

Thanks for posting the link to the knowledge article! To bad this is still an issue after what 7 new releases. Maybe I'll have to give it a try again...currently just using a combination of curb return feature lines with relative elevations and intersection tool just for centerline alignment and profile locking. 

Civil 3D 2024 / Windows 11 Pro (64bit)
Intel Core I7 @3.30GHz / 32gig RAM / NVIDIA Quadro K2200
Message 17 of 17
Nick_Antonov
in reply to: mjung

Like I mentioned in my earlier post, It worked for me using WBLOCK , The Offset alignments and the connected offset profiles are now linked to their parent Alignment and Profile(This is on all 10 roads I had on my site) .

But, My Long sections lost the bands assigned profiles labels in the bands, It added something like : OLD DESIGN (profile name) to the Profile View definitions.

The rest profiles were still on the list, but the bands data was not populating(see attached images)..

Nick_Antonov_0-1661756687851.png

Nick_Antonov_1-1661758680055.png

I am not sure which template WBLOCK was using but I also I had to reinsert from my Template the custom band styles and band sets and reassign the applicable profiles).. Once reinserted and overwritten the bands were populated correctly.

By the way, This method brough across all design sites ,Alignments, Profiles, Assemblies, corridors, surfaces etc, Including Linked surfaces.  Just styles were missing as I said..

Still Minor inconvenience comparing to recreate whole road network with intersections ..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report