AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Distinguished Mentor
rl_jackson
Message 1 of 17 (365 Views)
Accepted Solution

Odd Bearing listing using CGLIST

365 Views, 16 Replies
09-10-2012 05:51 AM

I routinely create blocks of deed descriptions, subdivisions and other plats to create mosiacs of properties that I will later use for the calculation of additional field points on a survey being preformed. However when I create a block, and list a line that has been rotated it still reports that the line is due south or whatever bearing it was originally drawn at.

Is this supposed to work this way? Is there a setting that I'm missing somewhere?

If this is the way it works - it is totally wrong in my opinion, and is a serious deficiency with respect to the surveying.

TIA

C3D12

C3D12-13
Win7x64 6gb

I've not experienced this since I don't list bearings in rotated blocks. But I do have a theory.

A block is a single definition in the drawing shown multiple times. So I think what's happening is that CGList is reporting the bearing from the original definition.

I do have a workaround since I work in a similar manor. Instead of using Blocks use Groups. While this will double or triple, in my case, the amount of linework in the drawing. Lines don't increase a file's size that much. This still allows you to move the deed plots as a single unit but you can still affect the lines individually if you want.

I triple the size because I have one instance of the lines in their original bearing systems, one where I have created a mosaic in the system that seems most common the them and one where I've rotated them after a field analysis.

HTH

Allen

*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 2 of 17 (360 Views)

Re: Odd Bearing listing using CGLIST

09-10-2012 06:56 AM in reply to: rl_jackson

I've not experienced this since I don't list bearings in rotated blocks. But I do have a theory.

A block is a single definition in the drawing shown multiple times. So I think what's happening is that CGList is reporting the bearing from the original definition.

I do have a workaround since I work in a similar manor. Instead of using Blocks use Groups. While this will double or triple, in my case, the amount of linework in the drawing. Lines don't increase a file's size that much. This still allows you to move the deed plots as a single unit but you can still affect the lines individually if you want.

I triple the size because I have one instance of the lines in their original bearing systems, one where I have created a mosaic in the system that seems most common the them and one where I've rotated them after a field analysis.

HTH

Allen

Valued Mentor
IanMcClain
Message 3 of 17 (345 Views)

09-10-2012 07:40 AM in reply to: rl_jackson

I agree. It would be best if the command gave the original data of the block and the scaled/rotated data. Or another command that gave the real data would be sufficient. Also, if you cglist an arc in a block, you don't get the arc information.

-Ian McClain
(running C3D 2012 sp4, Win7 64bit, 8GB)
Distinguished Mentor
rl_jackson
Message 4 of 17 (314 Views)

09-12-2012 08:34 AM in reply to: AllenJessup
Thanks Allen, That's a pretty good analogy of what is going on with regards to CGLIST - Not sure if I like it a whole lot. I tried your method with the group, and that command seem to have changed quite a bit from LDD, I see to remember a dialog box for that command, but I dont get that in C3D12, and I know the settings are correct. This makes it a little difficult to use, as sometimes once I get the final position set, I what to explode/degroup the object, and I dont see that feature. ? Rick
C3D12-13
Win7x64 6gb
*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 5 of 17 (311 Views)

09-12-2012 08:50 AM in reply to: rl_jackson

To get options for the Group command enter -GROUP (note the hyphen). That will give you the option to explode the group. I agree. Not having the dialog box is something you have to get used to.

Allen

*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 6 of 17 (308 Views)

09-12-2012 08:53 AM in reply to: rl_jackson

BTW. Remember that if you set the Pickstyle to 0, you will be able to select the individual members of a group.

Allen

*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 7 of 17 (306 Views)

09-12-2012 08:57 AM in reply to: rl_jackson

I just found out you can get the dialog box by using the CLASSICGROUP command.

Allen

Distinguished Mentor
rl_jackson
Message 8 of 17 (304 Views)

09-12-2012 08:59 AM in reply to: AllenJessup
Ah the hyphen never came up in the command list, since I started it with G, thanks for the help, I will look into the pickstyle variable as well. ? Rick
C3D12-13
Win7x64 6gb
Distinguished Mentor
rl_jackson
Message 9 of 17 (303 Views)

09-12-2012 09:11 AM in reply to: AllenJessup
Looks like its time to do an alias edit ? Rick
C3D12-13
Win7x64 6gb
*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 10 of 17 (298 Views)

09-12-2012 10:23 AM in reply to: rl_jackson

rl_jackson wrote:
Looks like its time to do an alias edit ? Rick

Or you could get fancy and use the Undefined and Redefine lisp commands in your acaddoc.lsp. See example on page 86 and 87 in this  [Link] .

Allen

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.