Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-associative C3D labels...

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
castled071049
748 Views, 15 Replies

Non-associative C3D labels...

Is it possible to create C3D labels that are non-associative? That is, they do not adjust font size, etc., with changes in viewport scale.

Thanks.

C3D 2014

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
rkmcswain
in reply to: castled071049

Only way I know is to explode them once, of course then it's no longer a label and the contents will not update either.

I'll be watching to see if someone else comes up with something.....

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 16
troma

Create an expression:
(text size)/{Drawing Scale Conversion}

Then use this as your text size in the label.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 4 of 16
troma
in reply to: troma

In my experience I found I had to use text size in metres in an expression, even though you put it in millimetres in the label normally. I'm not sure how that'll translate to imperial, but just fair warning.

Mark Green

Message 5 of 16
gunnarl

Is there a way to maintain the text height in model space independent of the viewport scale?

Let's say I wanted the text in my label to remain a 4.8 foot text height in model space regardless of what the viewport scale is set to? In my current situation it doesn't matter if the text height in paper space is inconsistant from viewport to viewport.

Message 6 of 16

Change the text properties from associative to something else - such as Standard.

Am curious why you "wouldn't" use associative text size?

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 7 of 16
troma
in reply to: gunnarl

@gunnarl wrote:

Is there a way to maintain the text height in model space independent of the viewport scale?

Let's say I wanted the text in my label to remain a 4.8 foot text height in model space regardless of what the viewport scale is set to? In my current situation it doesn't matter if the text height in paper space is inconsistant from viewport to viewport.

Same question as OP?  Check out the answer I posted.  Does that work for you?

Mark Green

Message 8 of 16
troma
in reply to: ericcollins6932

@ericcollins6932 wrote:

Change the text properties from associative to something else - such as Standard.

Am curious why you "wouldn't" use associative text size?

The OP is talking about C3D labels, I believe.  I think you are talking about Annotative Text.

Mark Green

Message 9 of 16
gunnarl

I am referring to C3D labels as well. Such as structure labels, line labels, etc. I guess i should have made that clear in my post. I am setting up a few exhibits, and don't want my C3D labels to become giant in the viewport. Because of the company and client standards/requirements, I have to use background mask for my labels. When the labels become 2 times the size in a 60 scale viewport compared to the 30 scale viewport they were original designed for, there is information that gets "masked" that i need present in the exhibit. I know i can accomplish this with xref, data refs, multiple styles, layers, etc. That just seem a little too involved for such a simple function. Keeping the text in a label the same size regardless of viewport scale doesn't not seem like an unreasonable request.

Message 10 of 16
tcorey

Mark, look at what troma suggested. I have used that procedure before and it works well for what you're trying to do.

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 11 of 16
troma

So did you try the answer I posted?

Another option is to make your viewport 30 scale, then plot it half size in the plot dialogue to achieve 60 scale on paper. This involves scaling up to double size your layout and all paperspace objects.

Mark Green

Message 12 of 16
gunnarl

I tried the drawing scale conversion expression posted, but it did not perform the functionality needed. 4.8 divided by 60 is .08, this basically mimics the native behavior of the labels. It didn't seem to behave any different than if i just put .08 as the text height in the style. To clearify my goal (which i realize may not be possible) lets set up a hypothetical. Lets say we have two viewports side by side. One at 60 scale and one at 100 scale. I want the label in the 60 scale viewport to appear at .08 height in paperspace as it appears through the viewport. In the 100 scale viewport i want the label to appear at .048 text height. Which is basically keeping the text height at 4.8 feet in model space regardless of what scale the viewport is at. I have only scratched the surface when it comes to expressions, is this something that would be possible with an expression? From the little i know about them it doesn't seem possible. The label reads the viewport scale somehow, so it would be nice if we had the ability to access that data in an expression similar to the "drawing scale conversion". Instead make it "Viewport scale conversion" and the posted expression above would work perfectly. Then i would be able to set up an expression that sets text height based on viewport scale instead of drawing scale. Right now i have been creating a new style and a new layer for the alternate scale labels, which gets the task accomplished. I was just hoping to improve the process a little.

Message 13 of 16
troma

I'm sorry, imperial scales confuse me. Isn't the {Drawing Scale Conversion} 720 for a '60 scale' viewport? Are you using the {Drawing Scale Conversion} field in the expression, or typing some number in there yourself? I thought this would work. I have used it myself, but I haven't checked it with two viewports at different scales in the same drawing.

If the viewports are on different layouts you can try the method of scaling up the layout and scaling down the plot to trick the label. 100/60=1.6666666666666667

Mark Green

Message 14 of 16
castled071049

Troma: Your solution worked perfectly as far as keeping the font size non-associative through various viewport scales. However, the gap for spacing the border remains "associative" in that it changes with various viewport scales, making the whole effect a little odd.

Any way to solve this part of the problem?

Thanks,

Jerry

C3D 2014

Message 15 of 16
castled071049

It's not often I need a non-associative C3D label, but an example would be parcel labels for individual lots in a large subdivision. At zoomed in levels they look fine, but zoomed out to show the entire subdivision the labels become so large relative to the lots that they overwhelm the view.

Message 16 of 16
troma

Unfortunate that you can't use an expression for that.

If you just need a border you can put four lines in the label, attach them to the text and use expressions to control them as necessary. If you need a background mask I think you'll need to put it in a block and use that in the label.

Mark Green

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report