Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No profile is drawn in the profile view

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
eyescast
352 Views, 4 Replies

No profile is drawn in the profile view

I am a C3D newbie who used  ground survey points  (Serrano_EG_surface)  that  generated a Civil 3D surface. The white line is consist of arc segments that I turned into polylines and then  into individual CL alignments. The first alignment ,which has its left and right offsets   do not generate the profile view that I needed to be created. There was a prompt asking for a profile to choose, but I don't know where in the drawing or in the propector panel to click on.

1. Are the ground survey points good enough  so that any alignments over the those areas can provide me a surface profile, a design profile, cross sections every 50 feet, so that I can submit a  preliminary drawing for environmental permitting. ?

2. When I check the object browser,  the aligments preceding each other are not in the same elevation it seems. Do I have to to transform each of the polylines first into a 3d polyline and then an alignment so that I can create a profile.

3. Eventually , I wish to connect all these alignments to model a 1.5 mile rural road (more like an access road to a water reservoir).

4. What's a best techniques to keep track of modeling a road.This question pertains to e.g the object browser as one of the useful aid. I've also used the inquiry tool but not used it for its full potential.

Please respond. I've been in this rut for a few days now since I am the only one in the office who spends the time learning Civil 3d as the primary tool for modeling any horizonal civil projects. The rest are more comfortable in doing everything in Autocad.

Thanks.

J. Cruz

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
tcorey
in reply to: eyescast

Hello Joseph,

Looking at alignment Sample(3), I see that it is not superimposed over your surface. The polylines are, but the alignment is not. That will disallow creation of a surface profile.

To answer your four questions:

1. Yes, if you create a surface from those points and then create a surface profile for the alignment.

2. I think you mean the Polylines preceding each other are not the same elevation. This does not matter because an alignment is a 2d object. These plines do not need to be transformed into 3d objects.

3. I don't think you need to "eventually" combine the alignments, I think you should do this at the beginning. Use Create Alignment from Objects and select the existing polylines. They will join into a single alignment.

4. Create a corridor. This single object keeps track of alignments, profiles and assemblies (typical cross section) to model a roadway. As those design objects change, the corridor updates to reflect those modifications.

Best regards,

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 5
eyescast
in reply to: eyescast

thanks

Message 4 of 5
fireballjenn
in reply to: tcorey

@tcorey wrote:

Hello Joseph,

Looking at alignment Sample(3), I see that it is not superimposed over your surface. The polylines are, but the alignment is not. That will disallow creation of a surface profile.

To answer your four questions:

1. Yes, if you create a surface from those points and then create a surface profile for the alignment.

2. I think you mean the Polylines preceding each other are not the same elevation. This does not matter because an alignment is a 2d object. These plines do not need to be transformed into 3d objects.

3. I don't think you need to "eventually" combine the alignments, I think you should do this at the beginning. Use Create Alignment from Objects and select the existing polylines. They will join into a single alignment.

4. Create a corridor. This single object keeps track of alignments, profiles and assemblies (typical cross section) to model a roadway. As those design objects change, the corridor updates to reflect those modifications.

Best regards,

Tim

TIm, I am having the same problem, but I don't see how to fix it. What do you mean by 'not superimposed over your surface'? It looks to me that his alignment is intersecting his surface, but apparently it's not. How does one superimpose an alignment over a surface?

Message 5 of 5
jeff_rivers
in reply to: fireballjenn

I see one area at the north end of his EG surface where one polyline is outside of the surface boundary. I suspect this may be what Tim noted.

Because that one polyline does not have surface data, the EG profile will have an elevation of zero for that segment. Effectively the same as not being able to create a profile (for that segment).

And to eyescast/J.Cruz, I second the advice Tim gave. Create only one proposed alignment for the full length of your road. The path you are on, using separate alignments for each segment, is the path to ruin. Already in your Prospector you have three alignments and five profiles, which is very confusing to follow. You will lose much time just trying to figure out which alignment segment, which profile, and which corridor you need to be working on.

Jeffrey Rivers
Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel i9 3.7GHz, 64 GB
NVIDIA RTX A4000
C3D 2020 V13.2.89.0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report