Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to using LIDAR

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
MKH-VB
384 Views, 1 Reply

New to using LIDAR

not familiar with lidar at all.  Went into c3d to create a point cloud and navigated to grab the file/s.  The files I have are *.xyz and *.prj files.  Can someone point me in the right direction on how to use these as a point cloud? Thanks

mkh
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Neilw_05
in reply to: MKH-VB

The .prj files are probably coordinate system projection info. used by GIS software. They are somewhat equivalent to a world file for imagery. You won't use them in C3D.

The .xyz files will have the points info. As long as the files are text and not binary you should be able to import them into a point cloud database. All you'd need to do is configure an import template for importing the points tables. You'll need to determine whether the fields are comma or space delimited in the .xyz file to set up the import template.

Please review the help file for working with Lidar data and point clouds. You will also want to look at posts here in the forum for issues with creating surfaces from point clouds, particularly with how the density of the surface is affected by the point cloud density display.

Also you might want to look at posts about opening large text files. Notepad or Excel can't handle them.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report