Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to AutoCAD, quick question about isolation sections of a land development

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
dbombliss128
306 Views, 3 Replies

New to AutoCAD, quick question about isolation sections of a land development

Hey guys,

This is my first post and for a quick bit of what I'm doing any why I've joined, I'm new to AutoCAD and need to pick it up quick for my job. I work at a small engineering firm that is well aware that I have minimal AutoCAD experience. My background is in Rhino3d and AutoCAD has never been something I needed to learn until now. My obstacle is the new vocabulary and interface. It controls relatively differently, but all and all it translates well. With the new position, I've been appointed to juggle learning AutoCAD from scratch (videos, tutorials, books), along with still getting some of the small requests completed. Therefore I'll have some questions "outside of the curriculum", if you will, while I'm picking up the new software.

Anyhow for my question:

I've been given a residential subdivision plot. It has all already been drawn in 2d, including all of the information and the grading, ect. All I need to be able to do, is isolate individual house plots, including all of the lines for the grading and what not. I have the drawing of the entire subdivision if many house plots. For example, what I imagine doing in my head, is highlighting plot "11" (for example) and cutting it out of the entire drawing. I need to individualize each house foot print, with all included grading information, and get them to scale, for individual print outs.

It's a very easy task, and something I could manage in just a few seconds on Rhino. AutoCAD doesn't really use the same "selecting" and "trimming" type of functions, and I'm at a loss for ideas of which commands could do it for me. Basically, I'd like to just take a rectangle, and extract everything inside of that rectangle into it's own drawing.

Any quick ways to achieve that?

Thanks,
Dan

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
lsimms1
in reply to: dbombliss128

you can window an area and copy/paste into a new drawing.

The other option would be to create a layout and use a viewport to print the area.

Message 3 of 4
dbombliss128
in reply to: lsimms1

Thanks for your input. Upon playing around with it all day so far, I had figured out the viewport option in the layout. That is exactly what I needed to do, to isolate the individual lots on a print.

-Dan

Message 4 of 4
neilyj666
in reply to: dbombliss128

And you can then copy the layout, rename it and window to a new area and do this as many times as required. You can also control object visibility on a per viewport basis.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report